Feb 14, 2012, 9:20 AM EST
Orioles top-prospect Manny Machado is either the most optimistic man on the planet or else he’s just an awesome team guy:
I hate how MLB keeps ranking my orioles in last place again. Man I can’t wait till we shut them up nd become al east division champs.
— Manny Machado (@MannyMachado3) February 10, 2012
Machado is 19 now and hasn’t played above A-ball, so you figure he doesn’t see the bigs until 2013 at the earliest. Then figure he has until he’s in his late 30s or so until his career winds down. So, sure, I’ll grant him that the O’s could win the AL East sometime in the next 18-20 years or so.
But if he’s talking about the 2012 Orioles, yes, that’s a big jar of crazy sauce.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 77
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 45
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 26
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)