Feb 14, 2012, 9:20 AM EDT
Orioles top-prospect Manny Machado is either the most optimistic man on the planet or else he’s just an awesome team guy:
I hate how MLB keeps ranking my orioles in last place again. Man I can’t wait till we shut them up nd become al east division champs.
— Manny Machado (@MannyMachado3) February 10, 2012
Machado is 19 now and hasn’t played above A-ball, so you figure he doesn’t see the bigs until 2013 at the earliest. Then figure he has until he’s in his late 30s or so until his career winds down. So, sure, I’ll grant him that the O’s could win the AL East sometime in the next 18-20 years or so.
But if he’s talking about the 2012 Orioles, yes, that’s a big jar of crazy sauce.
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 4
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 17
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 23
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mike Trout hits two homers, including a grand slam, to take MLB lead 13
- Zack Greinke’s scoreless innings streak ends at 45 2/3 7
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)