Feb 14, 2012, 9:20 AM EDT
Orioles top-prospect Manny Machado is either the most optimistic man on the planet or else he’s just an awesome team guy:
I hate how MLB keeps ranking my orioles in last place again. Man I can’t wait till we shut them up nd become al east division champs.
— Manny Machado (@MannyMachado3) February 10, 2012
Machado is 19 now and hasn’t played above A-ball, so you figure he doesn’t see the bigs until 2013 at the earliest. Then figure he has until he’s in his late 30s or so until his career winds down. So, sure, I’ll grant him that the O’s could win the AL East sometime in the next 18-20 years or so.
But if he’s talking about the 2012 Orioles, yes, that’s a big jar of crazy sauce.
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 14
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 12
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 29
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 61
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (144)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (94)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)