Feb 14, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
Or: how you know that the offseason has dragged on long enough: 863 words on Matt Holliday and David Freese playing squash:
Looking for a competitive alternative to add to their offseason workouts this winter, Freese and Holliday found squash. A cousin of racquetball, the game features a smaller ball with less bounce and tends to have longer rallies and heightened strategy. The game scratched an itch that weightlifting, for example, did not.
They could keep score.
“It’s fun,” Holliday said. “It’s better than running cones.”
In all seriousness, it’s an interesting article. You see a lot of things about ballplayers’ offseason activities, but they tend to be little bullet points in a notes column (“David Eckstein has taken up line dancing …”). Derrick Goold’s story about the squash is actually a fun read.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)