Must-click link: Looking back at the worst swings of 2011

Feb 14, 2012, 3:51 PM EDT

click here bigger

Jeff Sullivan’s latest great thing at SB Nation is a look back at the 10 ugliest, most pathetic hacks of the 2011 season, complete with video evidence:

The Ten Worst Swings Of The 2011 Season

It’s pretty amazing.

1. aintthenazz - Feb 14, 2012 at 4:21 PM

I’m shocked that 9 out of 10 of these weren’t Brandon Inge.

2. proudlycanadian - Feb 14, 2012 at 4:26 PM

I still preferred to watch Kate Upton.

3. drmonkeyarmy - Feb 14, 2012 at 4:35 PM

I don’t like that somebody swinging at a pitch out when a hit and run is called makes #1 on the list. It doesn’t seem right.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 14, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Why he swung at that is beyond me.

• Bryz - Feb 14, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Did you not watch the entire video? It was a hit and run, and he was trying to protect the runner stealing 2nd.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 16, 2012 at 4:34 PM

I didn’t. I’m a rebel.

4. cur68 - Feb 14, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Mr. Gleeman, you sir are on FIRE. First there was the Kate Upton and her life-advice post. Now there is this link to this absolute gem from Jeff Sullivan. I laughed very much. Some of the worst swings by some of MLB’s best hitters all in gif-y splendor with drollery asides. Nice work Mr. Sullivan and nice work Mr. Gleeman for drawing our attention to it.

The break down on Jose Bautista’s check swing on the Becket bouncer was spot on: only Joey Bats could swing that hard and still check the bat (not in time, mind you, but close).

• kopy - Feb 14, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Sullivan’s earlier work, which I don’t know if HBT linked to, of the most extreme pitches hit for home runs is equally delicious: http://t.co/b610Oq9

• cur68 - Feb 14, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Excellent, Kopy. Just excellent. Y’know whats the best thing about that page? Its Sullivan’s comment that the Cloby Lewis pitch at 54.5 inches from the ground, the highest pitch hit for a homerun, was this: “And that reward set back Corey Patterson’s plate discipline by ten years.” I remember seeing that homer and subsequently watching Patterson hack away at anything over the letters for the remainder of his AB’s with the Beaver Men and thinking the same thing.

• kopy - Feb 14, 2012 at 5:53 PM

I loved that line as well. I hope there are more of these to come. Sullivan’s seemingly odd rant about .GIFs is totally on point. Everybody loves .GIFs, at least until MLB figures out how to put 15-30 second advertisement clips between each loop.

5. El Bravo - Feb 14, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Wow, zero Adam Dunn swings. Amazing. Simply amazing.

6. Ben - Feb 14, 2012 at 5:28 PM

To be fair to Vladimir Guerrero, he’s turned plenty of pitches like that into homeruns. His ability to just golf it over the fence was astounding.

7. feelingnoshame - Feb 14, 2012 at 6:38 PM

I’m sorry but this article has no merit. Craig Counsell went 0 fer 46 and you couldn’t find one of his ugly swings to put on here? Weak!!

• Bryz - Feb 14, 2012 at 8:14 PM

You obviously didn’t read the criteria Sullivan was working with. He was looking at swings on pitches that were furthest from the strike zone.

8. stercuilus65 - Feb 15, 2012 at 2:43 AM

Sorry but the list was ruined by the idiocy of putting at number one a batter trying to protect the runner heading to second. Come on man!

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3661)