Plan your “Moneyball” Oscar party now!

Feb 14, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT

moneyball poster

“Moneyball” was nominated for several Academy Awards, and over at the website Buzzsugar, they give some advice on how to throw a “Moneyball”-themed Oscar party.

The upshot:

• Serve beer and peanuts!
  • Wear baseball jerseys!
  • Decorate the room with gloves, caps and memorabilia!

I wonder what these captains obvious suggested when “Revolutionary Road” was nominated. That would have been a party!

I shouldn’t snark at them, though. At least they’re positive. More positive than my sabermetrician friends and I. Our plans for rallying around “Moneyball” on Oscar night: making arguments about how box office gross is a far better indicator of movie quality than actually winning the Best Picture Oscar due to the larger sample size of the ticket-buying public compared to the Academy.

Take that, “The Artist!”

1. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 14, 2012 at 10:43 AM

I think I’ll talk advanced baseball metrics to a chubby friend of mine who will stare blankly at me, and then drive around with my big white pager during the whole duration of the awards because I can’t stand to watch the results directly.

2. Jonny 5 - Feb 14, 2012 at 10:59 AM

What kind of person who isn’t an actor throws an Oscar party btw? I’ll be damned if I’m going to celebrate a bunch of actors patting a bunch of actors on the back for doing their jobs. It’s acting. It’s not as if they’re fighting fires or saving lives. They may act like they are, but it just isn’t the same thing to me.

• jdocker - Feb 14, 2012 at 11:08 AM

What kind of person who isn’t an athlete throws a Superbowl party btw? I’ll be damned if I’m going to celebrate a bunch of athletes patting a bunch of athletes on the ass for doing their jobs. It’s athletics. It’s not as if they’re fighting fires or saving lives. They may act like they are, but it just isn’t the same thing to me.

• Jonny 5 - Feb 14, 2012 at 12:23 PM

The super bowl isn’t about patting athletes on the butts. It’s about winning the championship. Of a sport. And they don’t act like they’re saving lives either. Bad Analogy. If you’re going to rip me for my comment, ya have to do a better job next time. ;)

• jdocker - Feb 14, 2012 at 11:02 PM

And the Oscars aren’t just about patting each other on the back. They are also about winning. It is about showing you were the best that year. The best actor, the best cinematography, the best picture. Just as the super bowl is about proving you have the best offense, the best defense, the best team.

Both of them are about rooting for something to prove to be the best. While the analogy isn’t perfect, I think the two are more similar then they seem.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 14, 2012 at 11:18 AM

I go to an Oscar party every year. We even dress up. It’s just fun.

• Jonny 5 - Feb 14, 2012 at 12:20 PM

This kinda person, I can see using it to have fun. Thanks for not tearing me a new one btw, it’s not like I was putting down people who have an Oscar party. I do detest these awards ceremonies though for these people who are generally applauding themselves for doing their jobs well.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 14, 2012 at 12:45 PM

It’s a money maker, Jonny. Entertainers are powerful, and half the country tunes in. You know nothing has more pull than the dollar sign.

• nategearhart - Feb 14, 2012 at 11:29 AM

So, you don’t approve of any awards or commendations for performing excellent work (Except for firefighters, EMTs, soldiers and doctors)? I tell ya, I’m not an actor, but I don’t save lives either. But I appreciate the pats on the back I get at work from time to time. And no one’s forcing you to watch that, either.

• Jonny 5 - Feb 14, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Damn, I was referring to an awards ceremony. Do you deserve an awards ceremony for doing your job that you’re paid for ?

• nategearhart - Feb 14, 2012 at 12:41 PM

We have regular organizational meetings, during which we take time to recognize outstanding work and over-achievement. So I guess you could call it an “awards ceremony”. And I’m sorry, but I’m going to need you to explain to me what’s wrong with that, because I don’t see it.

• Jonny 5 - Feb 14, 2012 at 1:55 PM

YOU can call your “organizational meeting” an “awards ceremony” just for arguments sake if you like. I will call it what it is. I also won’t find anything wrong with it either, so there’s nothing to explain. Now if your company paid a billion dollars to broadcast it on national television while handing you gold trophies I’d say it was ridiculous, just like the Oscars is.

3. thelucasjj - Feb 14, 2012 at 11:06 AM

I am going to read this post as an open invitation to an Oscar Party at Craig’s house.

Cant wait. See you on the 26th!

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2903)