Feb 14, 2012, 10:47 AM EST
Last year we saw what can happen when a veteran manager of a young, suddenly decent team has a contract that expires at the end of the season, but the Royals have ensured they won’t have a Jim Riggleman situation by exercising their 2013 option on Ned Yost before spring training even begins.
Yost, who took over for Trey Hillman 35 games into the 2010 season, has managed the Royals to a 126-163 (.436) record after compiling a 457-502 (.477) record in six seasons with the Brewers.
By comparison, Hillman had a nearly identical .423 winning percentage in Kansas City and the man who replaced Yost in Milwaukee (on a full-time basis), Ken Macha, has a .485 winning percentage there.
While the Royals have finished above .500 just once since 1995 and last did so in 2003 they’re well positioned to become contenders in the AL Central as all their young talent fills the roster. That began to happen in a big way last season, will continue to happen this year, and puts Yost in a spot to receive tons of credit when they finally start winning some games. For now, though, he’s managed eight seasons in the majors with a combined .467 winning percentage and has never won more than 83 games.
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 30
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 54
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 41
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)