Feb 14, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
Not necessarily strong rumors. Not from any baseball insider types who usually chatter about goings on in MLB. But this story from NBC Chicago about rumors of the Cubs moving to the south side to play in U.S. Cellular Field while Wrigley Field undergoes a renovation is interesting enough.
To be sure, the story leads with the Cubs’ denial of such a thing, with a spokesman for the Ricketts family saying “I have never heard of a done deal of moving home games to the ‘Cell.'” But of course, that insertion of “a done deal” is an equivocation, no? If there were a done deal lots of people would know about it. What we want to know is if it’s actually being discussed as a realistic option.
Because some folks are discussing it:
Workers at U.S. Cellular tell a different story. They say they are being warned of a much busier 2013 season (as in, prepare for double the games). Bridgeport bar owners tell a similar story.
Could be empty chatter. As Neil deMause of “Field of Schemes” notes, it could be a trial balloon to gauge public sentiment. And of course, the Cubs don’t even have renovation money secured yet, so it may all be moot for now.
But it would be interesting seeing the Cubs play in U.S. Cellular Field. If, for no other reason, we’d get to see if anyone would truly care about them without Wrigley Field as part of the equation.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 6
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 17
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)