Feb 14, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
Not necessarily strong rumors. Not from any baseball insider types who usually chatter about goings on in MLB. But this story from NBC Chicago about rumors of the Cubs moving to the south side to play in U.S. Cellular Field while Wrigley Field undergoes a renovation is interesting enough.
To be sure, the story leads with the Cubs’ denial of such a thing, with a spokesman for the Ricketts family saying “I have never heard of a done deal of moving home games to the ‘Cell.'” But of course, that insertion of “a done deal” is an equivocation, no? If there were a done deal lots of people would know about it. What we want to know is if it’s actually being discussed as a realistic option.
Because some folks are discussing it:
Workers at U.S. Cellular tell a different story. They say they are being warned of a much busier 2013 season (as in, prepare for double the games). Bridgeport bar owners tell a similar story.
Could be empty chatter. As Neil deMause of “Field of Schemes” notes, it could be a trial balloon to gauge public sentiment. And of course, the Cubs don’t even have renovation money secured yet, so it may all be moot for now.
But it would be interesting seeing the Cubs play in U.S. Cellular Field. If, for no other reason, we’d get to see if anyone would truly care about them without Wrigley Field as part of the equation.
- Breaking: The Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 31
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 60
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 104
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 74
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 76
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 74
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)