Feb 14, 2012, 12:02 PM EDT
The Chicago white Sox signed Kosuke Fukudome. The deal: one-year, $1 million contract with a $3.5 million club option for 2013. $500K of that $1 million comes in the form of a buyout of next year’s option, so he’s making basically nothing during the season.
That’s pretty sweet. Fukudome was overpaid once upon a time, but a guy who can get on base a little (he hit .262/.342/.370 with eight homers last season) and who is useful with a glove is easily worth a million bucks these days.
I can’t help but think that a lot of teams could have used him at that price.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 42
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (200)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (127)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)