Feb 14, 2012, 1:31 PM EDT
UPDATE: The talks are dead.
1:31 PM: This is interesting. Jon Heyman is reporting that while there is still optimism that the Yankees will trade A.J. Burnett to Pittsburgh, the Angels and Indians have “checked in.”
The Angels are probably a non-starter because they are one of the teams named in Burnett’s limited no-trade clause — he wants to stay in the eastern part of the continent — but the Indians are intriguing. Mostly because of what Heyman says the clubs are talking about in a potential deal: the Indians shipping Travis Hafner to New York.
Now, Heyman says that the Indians are unsure they’d do such a deal — more on that below — but it certainly would be interesting from the Yankees perspective. Hafner is a much better option for the DH slot than some of the other names being floated (Raul Ibanez, Johnny Damon). If they could snag Hafner, it would be a pretty big coup.
I can see why the Indians would balk, though. Apart from Hafner being better at he does than Burnett is at what he does, Hafner is only owned $15.75 million total by Cleveland, what with this year’s salary and the buyout of next year’s option. Burnett is owed $33 million. So, unless the Yankees were pitching in more money — which they’ve said they don’t want to do — Cleveland’s financial obligations would increase by a couple of million bucks, and they’d get the worse player in the deal.
So, yeah, don’t hold your breath, Yankees fans.
- Cubs to acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 2
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)