Feb 14, 2012, 1:31 PM EDT
UPDATE: The talks are dead.
1:31 PM: This is interesting. Jon Heyman is reporting that while there is still optimism that the Yankees will trade A.J. Burnett to Pittsburgh, the Angels and Indians have “checked in.”
The Angels are probably a non-starter because they are one of the teams named in Burnett’s limited no-trade clause — he wants to stay in the eastern part of the continent — but the Indians are intriguing. Mostly because of what Heyman says the clubs are talking about in a potential deal: the Indians shipping Travis Hafner to New York.
Now, Heyman says that the Indians are unsure they’d do such a deal — more on that below — but it certainly would be interesting from the Yankees perspective. Hafner is a much better option for the DH slot than some of the other names being floated (Raul Ibanez, Johnny Damon). If they could snag Hafner, it would be a pretty big coup.
I can see why the Indians would balk, though. Apart from Hafner being better at he does than Burnett is at what he does, Hafner is only owned $15.75 million total by Cleveland, what with this year’s salary and the buyout of next year’s option. Burnett is owed $33 million. So, unless the Yankees were pitching in more money — which they’ve said they don’t want to do — Cleveland’s financial obligations would increase by a couple of million bucks, and they’d get the worse player in the deal.
So, yeah, don’t hold your breath, Yankees fans.
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 27
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 43
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 85
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)