Feb 15, 2012, 1:00 PM EST
Peter Angelos is probably going to live forever — such is the way of trial lawyers, bad baseball owners and the very, very rich — so really, the only hope that Orioles fans have for that franchise to turn around one day is if Angelos decides to sell.
The big rumor swirling around Baltimore is that Peter Angelos is quietly shopping the Orioles. Eric Bickel of 106.7 The Fan in D.C. disclosed the news Tuesday morning on The Sports Junkies.
“It’s my understanding that the Baltimore Orioles are quietly for sale,” Bickel told listeners. ”Peter Angelos is actively selling the team at least privately to some people around him.”
But don’t get too excited. The rumor also holds that Angelos wants to retain his interest in MASN and the TV rights to the Orioles, selling just the team.
Which makes zero sense as TV rights are a tremendous source of income for an owner. Who would want that kind of a deal? It’d be like buying a movie theater but not taking over the concession stand. Like buying a video store and not taking over the adult section.* There’s just no economic coherence to it.
But at least this rumor gives Orioles fans a chance to at least pretend that Angelos may be gone soon. And that’s not nothing.
*Do video stores still exist? I sort of think they don’t. Anyone?
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 19
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (373)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (91)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)