Feb 15, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
Peter Angelos is probably going to live forever — such is the way of trial lawyers, bad baseball owners and the very, very rich — so really, the only hope that Orioles fans have for that franchise to turn around one day is if Angelos decides to sell.
The big rumor swirling around Baltimore is that Peter Angelos is quietly shopping the Orioles. Eric Bickel of 106.7 The Fan in D.C. disclosed the news Tuesday morning on The Sports Junkies.
“It’s my understanding that the Baltimore Orioles are quietly for sale,” Bickel told listeners. ”Peter Angelos is actively selling the team at least privately to some people around him.”
But don’t get too excited. The rumor also holds that Angelos wants to retain his interest in MASN and the TV rights to the Orioles, selling just the team.
Which makes zero sense as TV rights are a tremendous source of income for an owner. Who would want that kind of a deal? It’d be like buying a movie theater but not taking over the concession stand. Like buying a video store and not taking over the adult section.* There’s just no economic coherence to it.
But at least this rumor gives Orioles fans a chance to at least pretend that Angelos may be gone soon. And that’s not nothing.
*Do video stores still exist? I sort of think they don’t. Anyone?
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 7
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 47
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 32
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 63
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 50
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 80
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 114
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (191)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)