Feb 15, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
Peter Angelos is probably going to live forever — such is the way of trial lawyers, bad baseball owners and the very, very rich — so really, the only hope that Orioles fans have for that franchise to turn around one day is if Angelos decides to sell.
The big rumor swirling around Baltimore is that Peter Angelos is quietly shopping the Orioles. Eric Bickel of 106.7 The Fan in D.C. disclosed the news Tuesday morning on The Sports Junkies.
“It’s my understanding that the Baltimore Orioles are quietly for sale,” Bickel told listeners. ”Peter Angelos is actively selling the team at least privately to some people around him.”
But don’t get too excited. The rumor also holds that Angelos wants to retain his interest in MASN and the TV rights to the Orioles, selling just the team.
Which makes zero sense as TV rights are a tremendous source of income for an owner. Who would want that kind of a deal? It’d be like buying a movie theater but not taking over the concession stand. Like buying a video store and not taking over the adult section.* There’s just no economic coherence to it.
But at least this rumor gives Orioles fans a chance to at least pretend that Angelos may be gone soon. And that’s not nothing.
*Do video stores still exist? I sort of think they don’t. Anyone?
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 77
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 51
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)