Feb 15, 2012, 2:50 PM EST
Rumors that the Cubs already had a deal in place for Jorge Soler proved inaccurate and now Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com reports that the 19-year-old outfielder worked out for the Blue Jays this morning at their complex in the Dominican Republic.
According to Sanchez, general manager Alex Anthopoulos was there along with several other members of Toronto’s front office, and they also worked out three other Cuban players.
Sanchez notes that the Blue Jays signed Cuban shortstop Adeiny Hechavarria for $10 million in 2010, but Soler is slated to have a similar workout for the Orioles this weekend. His cloudy visa status means that Soler can’t sign yet anyway, but it sounds like his market is picking up following fellow Cuban defector Yoenis Cespedes‘ four-year, $36 million deal with the A’s.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 25
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 80
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 14
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 143
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)