Feb 15, 2012, 10:30 AM EST
I give Bryce Harper a fair amount of hell, but it isn’t serious hell. It’s more like me shaking my head and smugly smiling at the folly of youth while simultaneously (a) understanding that young people act like young people and that’s OK; and (b) being slightly jealous that I’m an old man now and couldn’t get away with most of that stuff.
Point is: while I cringe — often — at the things Harper says and does, it’s no different than me cringing at the kids riding their skateboards around my neighborhood, imploring them to get off my lawn and the like. Sure, it’d be cool if a young stud athlete like Harper had an unnatural maturity because it would be interesting to witness, but really, the kid is just being a kid and that’s OK.
But it’s not OK with everyone. Specifically, Jason Reid of the Washington Post, who took to his column yesterday to implore Master Harper to grow up:
Bryce Harper needs to grow up. When you’re the future of the franchise, being 19 will only get you so far. Sometimes, you need to show maturity beyond your years … Obviously, Harper is entitled to his views. After already paying Harper like a star, the Nationals want him to become one. Harper hasn’t said or done anything outright alarming. Repeatedly, though, he has exercised questionable judgment — and the Nationals know it.
The evidence cited for this is all the stuff we’ve heard about before: his desire to be like Joe Namath. The fact that he roots for teams that happened to be good and popular when he was growing up. The fact that he showboated in a couple of games last year, says goofy things on Twitter and drives an oversized Hot Wheels car.
None of which I personally approve of, of course. But as we’ve established: I’m an old man and I know it and I don’t think for a minute that Bryce Harper should do what pleases people like me because, man, that would be pretty depressing.
As long as they’re not abusing drugs and causing real chaos, let youth be young. As long as we don’t get consumed with bitterness, let old people roll our eyes at it. That’s the natural freaking order of things, and I really hope that never changes.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 10
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 55
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 139
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (139)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)