Johan Santana scheduled to throw bullpen session Friday

Feb 15, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT

santana tall getty Getty Images

Johan Santana is slated for a “light bullpen session” at the Mets’ spring training complex Friday, according to Andy McCullough of the Newark Star Ledger.

Santana’s comeback was supposed to occur in September of last season, but multiple setbacks ruined those plans and the former two-time Cy Young winner joked yesterday that Friday’s bullpen session should be on Pay-Per-View.

Santana hasn’t seen game action since beating the Braves on September 2, 2010, missing all of last season following shoulder surgery, and is owed $24 million this season, $25.5 million in 2013, and $25 million or a $5.5 million buyout for 2014.

McCullough reports that manager Terry Collins was encouraged by how Santana looked while playing catch for about 10 minutes yesterday, noting that his arm slot and pace both suggested he’s no longer feeling significant shoulder discomfort. In other words so far so good, although we heard that at various points last year as well and Santana never pitched.

1. deathmonkey41 - Feb 15, 2012 at 11:02 AM

I was a little ticked off when the Yankees didn’t pull off the trade for him- in hindsight, it’s the best move they never made. The guy is falling apart at the seems. Maybe the Mets should have taken out the extended warranty on him.

2. Kevin S. - Feb 15, 2012 at 11:31 AM

At this point, I’ll believe it when I see it. That said, I really hope I see it. Johan was a great pitcher and a classy guy, and the game’s better with him in it.

3. papasadappa - Feb 15, 2012 at 11:38 AM

As a Met’s fan I really want him back in the rotation but as a baseball fan I just want to see him come back from this surgery and get back to pitching. I loved watching him when he was with the Twins and won those two Cy Young awards. Stay healthy Johan.

4. shaggylocks - Feb 15, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Let me save you the trouble and write the Friday headline for you:

” Johan Santana experiences setback during bullpen session; 2012 season in jeopardy”

5. dirtyharry1971 - Feb 16, 2012 at 12:39 AM

with the great team the mets will be fielding this year does it really matter much if he does pitch? i say give him another year off and be certain he is back from injury

Bo Porter just first casualty around MLB