Feb 15, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Santana’s comeback was supposed to occur in September of last season, but multiple setbacks ruined those plans and the former two-time Cy Young winner joked yesterday that Friday’s bullpen session should be on Pay-Per-View.
Santana hasn’t seen game action since beating the Braves on September 2, 2010, missing all of last season following shoulder surgery, and is owed $24 million this season, $25.5 million in 2013, and $25 million or a $5.5 million buyout for 2014.
McCullough reports that manager Terry Collins was encouraged by how Santana looked while playing catch for about 10 minutes yesterday, noting that his arm slot and pace both suggested he’s no longer feeling significant shoulder discomfort. In other words so far so good, although we heard that at various points last year as well and Santana never pitched.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 103
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 85
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (202)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)