Feb 15, 2012, 10:47 AM EST
Santana’s comeback was supposed to occur in September of last season, but multiple setbacks ruined those plans and the former two-time Cy Young winner joked yesterday that Friday’s bullpen session should be on Pay-Per-View.
Santana hasn’t seen game action since beating the Braves on September 2, 2010, missing all of last season following shoulder surgery, and is owed $24 million this season, $25.5 million in 2013, and $25 million or a $5.5 million buyout for 2014.
McCullough reports that manager Terry Collins was encouraged by how Santana looked while playing catch for about 10 minutes yesterday, noting that his arm slot and pace both suggested he’s no longer feeling significant shoulder discomfort. In other words so far so good, although we heard that at various points last year as well and Santana never pitched.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (373)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (93)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)