Feb 15, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Santana’s comeback was supposed to occur in September of last season, but multiple setbacks ruined those plans and the former two-time Cy Young winner joked yesterday that Friday’s bullpen session should be on Pay-Per-View.
Santana hasn’t seen game action since beating the Braves on September 2, 2010, missing all of last season following shoulder surgery, and is owed $24 million this season, $25.5 million in 2013, and $25 million or a $5.5 million buyout for 2014.
McCullough reports that manager Terry Collins was encouraged by how Santana looked while playing catch for about 10 minutes yesterday, noting that his arm slot and pace both suggested he’s no longer feeling significant shoulder discomfort. In other words so far so good, although we heard that at various points last year as well and Santana never pitched.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (100)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)