Feb 15, 2012, 12:48 PM EDT
UPDATE: It’s now official, with Topkin reporting that the three-year extension is worth approximately $6 million.
Joe Maddon and the Rays have been working on a contract extension for much of the offseason and Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times reports that an official announcement is expected tomorrow.
According to Topkin the deal is for three seasons, which would keep Maddon with the Rays through 2015.
Maddon is the American League’s reigning Manager of the Year, also won the award in 2008, and has a 495-477 (.509) record since joining the Rays in 2006, including three playoff appearances in the past four seasons. Prior to his arrival Tampa Bay had never won more than 70 games in a season.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 92
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (92)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)