Feb 15, 2012, 12:48 PM EST
UPDATE: It’s now official, with Topkin reporting that the three-year extension is worth approximately $6 million.
Joe Maddon and the Rays have been working on a contract extension for much of the offseason and Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times reports that an official announcement is expected tomorrow.
According to Topkin the deal is for three seasons, which would keep Maddon with the Rays through 2015.
Maddon is the American League’s reigning Manager of the Year, also won the award in 2008, and has a 495-477 (.509) record since joining the Rays in 2006, including three playoff appearances in the past four seasons. Prior to his arrival Tampa Bay had never won more than 70 games in a season.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 15
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 38
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)