Feb 15, 2012, 6:07 PM EDT
Korea’s protest has apparently won out: according to MASN’s Roch Kubatko, MLB is set to void the contract agreed to by the Orioles and 17-year-old left-hander Seong-Min Kim on Jan. 30.
The KBO filed a letter of protest over the signing earlier this month, stating that the Orioles failed to go through the proper channels in signing an amatuer Korean player. The Orioles acknowledged the breach in protocol, with GM Dan Duquette apologizing earlier this month for not doing a status check through the commissioner’s office.
As a response to the signing, the Korean Baseball Association, which holds sway over amateur baseball, banned Orioles scouts from attending high school and college games in the country.
Kubatko’s tweet indicates that Kim will be made a free agent and that the Orioles will be eligible to re-sign him at a later date.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 0
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 18
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 86
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 56
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (86)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)