The Athletics are likely to sign Manny Ramirez before spring training

Feb 15, 2012, 9:47 AM EDT

Image (1) Manny%20Ramirez%20Zen.jpg for post 4173

Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that the Athletics are likely to sign Manny Ramirez just before or soon after the start of spring training.

Makes sense. Nearly-free offense, at least potentially, and for at least part of the season following Ramirez serving his suspension. Wacko serial PED offenders are the new inefficiency, you know.

Of course it would create even more of a logjam in the corner outfielder/DH mix in Oakland, what with Seth SmithJonny Gomes, Kila Ka’aihue and several others hanging around, but it’s not like anyone in that mix represents The Future of the Franchise, so why not try to catch some lightning in a bottle?

1. deathmonkey41 - Feb 15, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Yeah, lightning in a bottle until he gets caught juicing again. But that’s just Manny being Manny. Someone should tell him he’s not on the Red Sox anymore- he no longer falls under Selig’s umbrella of protection. And if there’s another investigation, I’m pretty sure Selig won’t be naming anyone from the A’s Board of Directors to head it.

• skeleteeth - Feb 15, 2012 at 11:00 AM

You are a Yankee fan. Your team has 27 World Series. Time to move on and seek help. You and bozo should start a support group.

• damusfucious - Feb 15, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Lightning in a needle Craig? .. maybe needle fits better than bottle.
      Manny can no longer catcher lightning in a starter’s arm. His bat couldn’t keep up almost 1-1/2 seasons ago. So now’s his bat is faster as he nears 40/…. PASS Oakland.

2. captainwisdom8888 - Feb 15, 2012 at 10:41 AM

i like the potential signing. the A’s are pretty awful and could any cheap help they can get. ^^monkey u sound lost

3. captainwisdom8888 - Feb 15, 2012 at 10:41 AM

4. stex52 - Feb 15, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Why not? I would think probably because he such a clubhouse cancer. I’m not sure I would let Manny around my young players without court-supervised visitation.

• scatterbrian - Feb 15, 2012 at 1:59 PM

PED user, yes, but a clubhouse cancer? Everything I’ve read about Manny says he’s a) loved by his teammates, and b) one of the hardest working guys out there. I think a hard-working and well-liked player atoning for his mistakes Is a positive influence on younger players…

Further, he was instrumental in two world championships, and his teams have been to the playoffs 11 times in 19 seasons, so I don’t see any evidence that he was/is a cancer.

• stex52 - Feb 15, 2012 at 2:50 PM

He’s great until he isn’t, then he is pushing old men down, dogging on the job, and quitting suddenly.

• scatterbrian - Feb 15, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Forgive me if I don’t eat up every bit of information the Boston media feeds us…

• stex52 - Feb 15, 2012 at 3:23 PM

No problems here. Not a Sox fan, anyway. But that’s kind of my point. Once you got to the last couple of years in Boston, then LA, then TB, the wheels came off. He probably was a pretty good teammate for some period of time, but he clearly got tired of that. A bunch of vets could handle it if he also hits. Not so much a rebuilding team.

5. efangule - Feb 15, 2012 at 11:23 AM

“Nearly-free offense, at least potentially, and for at least part of the season following Ramirez serving his suspension.”

Good lord.. Are there no proofreaders here?

6. Vindickative - Feb 15, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Should be a fun sideshow for a couple weeks. But he won’t do anything, and will probably retire again before the season is over.

7. Vindickative - Feb 15, 2012 at 12:39 PM

The subject line for the e-mail I received which contained the link to this article said “ManRam Signing Imminent”. Imminent nothing. Then I read the Slusser article, and even “likely” is a stretch. The A’s aren’t signing shit.

8. AlohaMrHand - Feb 15, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Cool,by mid season when the A’s are already out of the playoff race at least they can say”hey we have Manny,come watch him!”

9. bosoxfan1950 - Feb 15, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Manny’s NOT a club house cancer? Really?
    Ask any Red Sox fan, player, staff member, Front Office worker, media member.
    Ask about his fight with Youkilis. Ask about his tussles with other players. Ask about his knocking down the old man traveling secretary over some tickets. Ask about his complaining about a knee being in pain and not being able to play and then forgetting which knee was in question. Ask about his quitting on his team time after time. Ask about his being caught juicing. Not once. Not twice, but three times!
    The best that can be said about Manny, IMHO, is that he is intellectually challenged. Or stupid, if you’d prefer. The worst that can be said, again IMHO, is that he is the epitome of a club house cancer.
    Oh, sure, he could hit. Was very instrumental in two WS for the Red Sox. But, . . .
    Hey, Oakland, go for it. Can’t think of any other team I’d rather see get this psycho. Well, maybe the Yankees.

10. aceinthehole12 - Feb 15, 2012 at 6:42 PM

I absolutely LOATHE Manny Ramirez and I do not want to see him wear an A’s jersey at all. I don’t care if he hits .351/.457/.697 for us(well them w/e) I will not cheer for that POS.

11. 9teddyballgame - Feb 16, 2012 at 11:02 AM

All I can say is good luck Oakland,you’re gonna nees it!!!!

12. mtm1321 - Feb 17, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Boo. Keep him out of baseball. Whether he used steroids or not who cares, he’s a quitter which is worse.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3482)