Feb 15, 2012, 9:47 AM EDT
Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that the Athletics are likely to sign Manny Ramirez just before or soon after the start of spring training.
Makes sense. Nearly-free offense, at least potentially, and for at least part of the season following Ramirez serving his suspension. Wacko serial PED offenders are the new inefficiency, you know.
Of course it would create even more of a logjam in the corner outfielder/DH mix in Oakland, what with Seth Smith, Jonny Gomes, Kila Ka’aihue and several others hanging around, but it’s not like anyone in that mix represents The Future of the Franchise, so why not try to catch some lightning in a bottle?
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 70
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 27
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (114)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (107)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)