Feb 15, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT
The first A.J. Burnett-to-Pittsburgh rumor emerged during the first epoch of the Palaeogene Period in the modern Cenozoic Era. Things got more serious during the Eocene. Then there was that silly Burnett-to-Cleveland rumor during the late Oligocene. Since then we’ve been waiting around for this deal to finally get done.
But there’s hope on the horizon! Ken Rosenthal reports that the Yankees want this thing done by Saturday, which is a day before pitchers and catchers report to Tampa.
Which makes sense. If Burnett has to show up to Yankees camp it could be kinda awkward, what with reporters asking him if he’s excited to leave the Yankees for the Pirates. And with Burnett trying his hardest to be professional and say, yes, it’s everything he’s always wanted.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 17
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 22
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 39
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 66
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (164)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)