Feb 16, 2012, 12:03 PM EST
Some of you are statheads. Many of you aren’t. I don’t care what you are, but I do hope that if you take issue with sabermetrics that you at least know what the hell it is you’re criticizing.
To that end, go read Amanda Rykoff’s very useful yet very accessible sabermetrics primer over at espnW. It’s great, with one minor exception:
Let’s start with a pretty straightforward metric: OPS (pronounced: opps, not oh-pee-ess).
Um. I’ve been pronouncing it “oh-pee-ess” for years. And I really don’t think I’m gonna stop. I’m just gonna do what British people do when they mispronounce something: do it loudly, do it clearly, do it with confidence and don’t give a single damn that they are doing it incorrectly, to the point where the person who deigns to correct them starts to think they’re wrong.
Anyway: good read. Go read it.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 7
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 53
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 139
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 35
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (139)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)