Feb 16, 2012, 12:03 PM EDT
Some of you are statheads. Many of you aren’t. I don’t care what you are, but I do hope that if you take issue with sabermetrics that you at least know what the hell it is you’re criticizing.
To that end, go read Amanda Rykoff’s very useful yet very accessible sabermetrics primer over at espnW. It’s great, with one minor exception:
Let’s start with a pretty straightforward metric: OPS (pronounced: opps, not oh-pee-ess).
Um. I’ve been pronouncing it “oh-pee-ess” for years. And I really don’t think I’m gonna stop. I’m just gonna do what British people do when they mispronounce something: do it loudly, do it clearly, do it with confidence and don’t give a single damn that they are doing it incorrectly, to the point where the person who deigns to correct them starts to think they’re wrong.
Anyway: good read. Go read it.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 49
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 66
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 51
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 65
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises (67)