Feb 16, 2012, 12:03 PM EST
Some of you are statheads. Many of you aren’t. I don’t care what you are, but I do hope that if you take issue with sabermetrics that you at least know what the hell it is you’re criticizing.
To that end, go read Amanda Rykoff’s very useful yet very accessible sabermetrics primer over at espnW. It’s great, with one minor exception:
Let’s start with a pretty straightforward metric: OPS (pronounced: opps, not oh-pee-ess).
Um. I’ve been pronouncing it “oh-pee-ess” for years. And I really don’t think I’m gonna stop. I’m just gonna do what British people do when they mispronounce something: do it loudly, do it clearly, do it with confidence and don’t give a single damn that they are doing it incorrectly, to the point where the person who deigns to correct them starts to think they’re wrong.
Anyway: good read. Go read it.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 161
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)