Feb 16, 2012, 12:03 PM EST
Some of you are statheads. Many of you aren’t. I don’t care what you are, but I do hope that if you take issue with sabermetrics that you at least know what the hell it is you’re criticizing.
To that end, go read Amanda Rykoff’s very useful yet very accessible sabermetrics primer over at espnW. It’s great, with one minor exception:
Let’s start with a pretty straightforward metric: OPS (pronounced: opps, not oh-pee-ess).
Um. I’ve been pronouncing it “oh-pee-ess” for years. And I really don’t think I’m gonna stop. I’m just gonna do what British people do when they mispronounce something: do it loudly, do it clearly, do it with confidence and don’t give a single damn that they are doing it incorrectly, to the point where the person who deigns to correct them starts to think they’re wrong.
Anyway: good read. Go read it.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)