Feb 16, 2012, 4:20 PM EST
There was a ruckus in the stands at a White Sox game at U.S. Cellular Field back in 2004. A woman, among others, was arrested and charged with battery. The charges were eventually dismissed. The woman then turned around and sued the White Sox for violating her civil rights in removing her from the ballpark.
That lawsuit, as lawsuits tend to do, has lingered for several years. It was dismissed on summary judgment. The dismissal was upheld on appeal just the other day. I don’t really care about the suit itself. But I do care about the judicial activism displayed in the first paragraph of the court’s decision:
Fricano asserts that the Cleveland Indians are “the arch rival” of the Chicago White Sox. While the two teams maintain a healthy rivalry, this court notes that it is generally accepted, at least among informed baseball followers, that the title of arch rival belongs to the reviled Minnesota Twins, to be shared, during inter-league play, with the Chicago Cubs.
I’m hoping that another court decides this question differently and the matter is presented to the Supreme Court. I could probably make some money as a hired gun consultant or something.
(thanks to Dan Feinstein for the heads up)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 1
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 50
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 41
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 117
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)