Clay Buchholz is healthy, aiming for 200-inning season

Feb 16, 2012, 3:07 AM EDT

buchholz-120215.standard[1]

Some good news for Red Sox fans: Clay Buchholz is healthy, and he’s feeling so good that he’s hoping to top 200 innings for the first time in his career.

The right-hander, an All-Star in 2010, pitched only 82 2/3 innings in 2011 and missed more than half the season with a back injury. Boston fans have to wonder if the Red Sox could have avoided their stunning late-season collapse if Buchholz had been healthy, as he was quite effective when he pitched.

Now he’s hoping to rebound and surpass his career-high of 173 2/3 innings, as reported by Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe:

“I think it’s big. It’s what I want to do every time I come to spring training. It’s what I prepare myself to do,” Buchholz said. “The last two seasons came with injuries that I didn’t have any control over. It was frustrating in that aspect. But you can learn from everything. That’s what I’m coming into spring training with. Things happen and you have to take what you’re given sometimes.”

Among the other topics Buchholz discussed:

• He, along with Dustin Pedroia, Jacoby Ellsbury and Darnell McDonald, had dinner with manager Bobby Valentine in January. Buchholz described Valentine as “a good dude” who is relaxed yet wants to have control over everyone. He meant that in a good way.
  • He also said the infamous clubhouse beer drinking had been going on for a while, and only became a big deal when the team fell apart. Buchholz did admit, however, that it was a mistake, and that Valentine will set a new tone.

You can follow Bob on Twitter here, or if Facebook is your thing, be his friend here.

1. uyf1950 - Feb 16, 2012 at 5:40 AM

I believe he was “healthy” to start the season last year. He made all his starts last year through and including June 16th 14 starts, 82 plus innings (just about 6 innings per start). It wasn’t until after then that he was out.

If I’m a Red Sox fan I would be cautiously optimistic about Buchholz, but until he can put some mileage (innings) on his back I would think the jury still would have to be out on exactly how healthy he really is.

• bigleagues - Feb 16, 2012 at 9:13 AM

I’m with you. I love the kid. I think he oozes talent and if he’s gonna have a big year to prove he is an elite talent . . . this is the year to do it.

But Lester is the guy I’m keying on. He needs to assert himself as stud ace. And I think the change from Francona to Valentine will help facilitate that. The Sox have been too protective of Lester’s IP count. And the same can be said Buchholz.

But with Lester his regression in certain aspects of his game was punctuated with Pollogate. He may have the best winning% in ML history, but his IP, K’s and WHIP have all got to get better if he wants back into the elite pitcher club.

2. Jonny 5 - Feb 16, 2012 at 8:32 AM

Yes, and my son always aims for the toilet bowl when he takes a leak. Well at least he says he does.

• uyf1950 - Feb 16, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Are you saying that we should have some doubts about the “truthfulness” of the health admission of Buchholz? And that there could be some chicanery here. Would a team or player ever do such a thing?

• Jonny 5 - Feb 16, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Well, I’m actually trying to say that although we aim for certain things in life, we as imperfect humans miss them more than we’d like to. I’m sure Clay is being honest, I mean it’s a goal, and possibly a lofty one for him.

• uyf1950 - Feb 16, 2012 at 9:07 AM

Jonny 5, I’m glad to see that you have not lost faith in the basic goodness and honesty of mankind.

But let me say, having witnessed Bobby V appearing in the Mets dugout in disguise in 1999 I don’t put anything past the man. But that’s just me and as you know my opinion.

3. deathmonkey41 - Feb 16, 2012 at 8:49 AM

But is he in the BSOHL?

4. paperlions - Feb 16, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Number of healthy starting pitcher not aiming to pitch 200 innings: 0

5. Ari Collins - Feb 16, 2012 at 10:01 AM

If you look at Clay’s innings progression until last year, and what kind of injury he had last year (an injury with a very low recurrence rate), there’s reason to be cautiously optimistic, as outlined here:

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win