Feb 16, 2012, 8:32 AM EDT
Conversation I had last night as clips of Adam Jones played on a muted TV tuned to MLB Network:
Me: I think the Braves should trade for Adam Jones. Stick him in left for a year and then when Michael Bourn leaves, let him have center.
Her: He’s been sort of declining. Doesn’t get on base that well and it’s getting worse.
Me: It’s the Braves. They don’t believe in getting on base and I’m just learning to accept it. I like Adam Jones.
That’s what it’s come to, basically. Much easier to stop worrying and learn to accept things, you know? A guy who hits 25 homers and only gets on base at a .319 clip is pretty much made for the Atlanta Braves. And I do like Adam Jones, so I’d be cool with it.
But he’s still the Orioles’ guy. And Ken Rosenthal reports that if they want to keep him long-term, it’s gonna take a five year deal:
For Jones to agree to an extension, the Orioles would need to offer him at least five years, according to major-league sources. And if such a deal is to occur, it probably would behoove the Orioles to get it done before Opening Day.
Dooo it, Frank Wren. Dooo it.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 33
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 18
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)