Feb 16, 2012, 8:32 AM EDT
Conversation I had last night as clips of Adam Jones played on a muted TV tuned to MLB Network:
Me: I think the Braves should trade for Adam Jones. Stick him in left for a year and then when Michael Bourn leaves, let him have center.
Her: He’s been sort of declining. Doesn’t get on base that well and it’s getting worse.
Me: It’s the Braves. They don’t believe in getting on base and I’m just learning to accept it. I like Adam Jones.
That’s what it’s come to, basically. Much easier to stop worrying and learn to accept things, you know? A guy who hits 25 homers and only gets on base at a .319 clip is pretty much made for the Atlanta Braves. And I do like Adam Jones, so I’d be cool with it.
But he’s still the Orioles’ guy. And Ken Rosenthal reports that if they want to keep him long-term, it’s gonna take a five year deal:
For Jones to agree to an extension, the Orioles would need to offer him at least five years, according to major-league sources. And if such a deal is to occur, it probably would behoove the Orioles to get it done before Opening Day.
Dooo it, Frank Wren. Dooo it.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 48
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 26
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 43
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 66
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)