It’ll take a five year deal to lock up Adam Jones

Feb 16, 2012, 8:32 AM EDT

adam jones getty wide Getty Images

Conversation I had last night as clips of Adam Jones played on a muted TV tuned to MLB Network:

Me: I think the Braves should trade for Adam Jones. Stick him in left for a year and then when Michael Bourn leaves, let him have center.

Her: He’s been sort of declining. Doesn’t get on base that well and it’s getting worse.

Me: It’s the Braves. They don’t believe in getting on base and I’m just learning to accept it. I like Adam Jones.

That’s what it’s come to, basically. Much easier to stop worrying and learn to accept things, you know?  A guy who hits 25 homers and only gets on base at a .319 clip is pretty much made for the Atlanta Braves. And I do like Adam Jones, so I’d be cool with it.

But he’s still the Orioles’ guy.  And Ken Rosenthal reports that if they want to keep him long-term, it’s gonna take a five year deal:

For Jones to agree to an extension, the Orioles would need to offer him at least five years, according to major-league sources. And if such a deal is to occur, it probably would behoove the Orioles to get it done before Opening Day.

Dooo it, Frank Wren. Dooo it.

1. atworkident - Feb 16, 2012 at 8:49 AM

Duquette is inept and sad to say… the game has passed him by. The Braves could tell him they were going package Glavine in the deal and he might take it.

… which is fine because at this rate Buck Showalter will probably want to walk soon. Maybe he could get them to throw in Bobby Cox too.

• paperlions - Feb 16, 2012 at 9:03 AM

Because the game has passed him by, he’s probably more likely to give a player like Jones 5+ years than most GMs. Jones has been about a league average player, the power is nice, the defense is inconsistent, he doesn’t walk, and he strikes out too much for the power he does have…..giving such a player a 5 year deal is just asking for a mini-Vernon Wells situation.

• borninfellspoint - Feb 16, 2012 at 11:12 AM

I have to wonder if any team will give him 5 years once he becomes a F.A.

2. southpaw2k - Feb 16, 2012 at 9:02 AM

It’s awfully sad to consider that a young player who was one of the blue chip pieces in a blockbuster trade for the Orioles a few years back could be traded elsewhere to gather more future young prospects from another team. And that is why the Orioles continue to fail.

Similar circumstances could affect Wieters and/or Matusz in a few years too.

• paperlions - Feb 16, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Not sure what they could get for him, he isn’t cheap ($6.15M this year) or particularly…you know….good. You get good prospects back for cheap good players or stars….Jones is neither.

• jeffbbf - Feb 16, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Tough crowd. I kow Duquette didn’t have anything to do with it, but I think the Orioles are ecstatic to have Jones and Tillman on the 40 and be rid of Bedard. Seems like the Orioles continue to fail by bringing in average/aging veterans that ultimately take away playing and development time from the younger players.

3. mnovis - Feb 16, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Maybe you shouldn’t pull for your Braves to make moves on a national blog “craig.”

• paperlions - Feb 16, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Why not?

4. Francisco (FC) - Feb 16, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Alternate Title: How I learned to stop worrying about the Brave’s OBP and Love the Hacky Swings.

5. Old Gator - Feb 16, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Okay, let me see if I got this right – it will take a five year deal to lock up Adam Jones for five years?

What am I missing here?

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3212)