Jim Edmonds and Ryan Franklin take post-retirement roles with Cardinals

Feb 16, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT

Jim Edmonds swing

Jim Edmonds canceled his comeback attempt last spring, signing a minor-league contract with the Cardinals and then retiring before reporting to camp.

This time around he’ll be at Cardinals camp, wearing his familiar No. 15, but Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that Edmonds will be a “special instructor.”

And according to Strauss, if things go well for Edmonds it “might lead to deeper involvement with the organization, possibly in a consultant role to general manager John Mozeliak.”

Strauss also reports that former closer Ryan Franklin has already been hired as a special assistant to the GM and “will advise Mozeliak on personnel and perform regional scouting chores based out of his Oklahoma home.” Franklin retired last season at age 38 after being released by the Cardinals in June with a 8.46 ERA in 21 appearances.

1. thefalcon123 - Feb 16, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Alternate headline:

“A beloved and a hated former Cardinal take post-retirement roles with the Cardinals”.

2. metalhead65 - Feb 16, 2012 at 11:53 AM

great news for dinal prospects! where else can you learn how to dive after every ball so you can be on sportscenter? how who else better to teach you how to spend time on the dl? and more importantly where is can you learn the fine art of being a whiney bitch than from one of the masters? you will learn how to blame the last team you played for ending your career when you come to them already injured and blow your achillies heel while running the bases on a home run trot.

• okwhitefalcon - Feb 16, 2012 at 12:01 PM

The gift that keeps on givin’ – meathead65 never disappoints, thank you for my morning laugh.

I literally cannot wait for the vile spewing that will ensue when Ludwick goes into one of his 3 week funks..

• metalhead65 - Feb 16, 2012 at 4:36 PM

if he goes into a 3 week funk I will not disapoint. hey ex-card signs a 2.5 mil contract he better play like it is 2008 since that is what he is being paid for

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 16, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Wow Metalhead. Your glass is ALWAYS half empty isn’t it?
      Actually…it’s not great news…it’s wonderful news.
      Jimmy Ballgame’s tutelage of the Outfielders will go a long way.
      After all…it’s not everyday you have a Gold Glover lending his expertise.

• The Baseball Idiot - Feb 16, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Cubs fan.

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 16, 2012 at 2:00 PM

He’s actually a Redlegs fan. But good guess though.

• brucewaynewins - Feb 16, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Sadly he is a fellow Reds fan. But we’ve disagreed on every single thing so far except for the last thread we both commented on. I can’t honestly even remember what it was about. Probably Oswalt.

As for Jim Edmonds… I’m not a fan after his crying act. He wanted to try and win a ring and was traded to the Reds then blamed the Reds for his career ending. It had nothing at all to do with him being old and already injured before he came…His jersey was on display with every single player who played for the Reds in 2010 in a special exhibit in the Reds HOF. I’d take the jersey down and burn it if arson wasn’t a crime.

• cintiphil - Feb 16, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Actually and sorrowfully, the meatball is a Reds fan. We are not all like him, because some of us understand the game a little, and do not hate teams just because we don’t beat them any longer. He is like a Boston fan who hates the Yankees, just because! Fair warning to the Cards though. Walt is all in for 2012, and we are gunning for the birds. The Reds have to win it this year, or it is going to be a long dry spell. Without the Central title and the pennant, Walt will have a hard time to go to sign all of the talent on this year’s team. I think Brandon and perhaps Joey will want to sign with a team who can win if they don’t do it this year. And who can say about latos or Marshall? Lets see what happens and have a great year of baseball.

• metalhead65 - Feb 16, 2012 at 5:01 PM

alright bruce! there you go we agree on something! having his uniform on display is a insult to the guys on that team who actually helped the reds win in 2010. and what is so wrong with me hating the cardinals? they play in the reds division and are biggest rival since the dodger days. who can be happy about signing their cast offs like edmonds or renteria? if these guys still had anything wouldn’t the cards keep them or try and resign/trade for them when available? then why should reds fans be happy when walt over pays them because they played for the cards while he was there? how happy would cards fans be if they signed johnny gomes or aquired volqez from the reds?

• metalhead65 - Feb 16, 2012 at 6:46 PM

cintiphil it is to bad you are a reds fan.because I only root for my team the reds I am not a fan? because you do not hate your biggest rival you know more about the game than me? I may not care a rat’s ass about saber metrics but I do know the game just fine thank you. I do not hate all the teams like I hate cards though,they happen to be the reds biggest rivals and like Brandon Phillips said they are whiny bitches. at least they were under larussa but untill they prove otherwise they still are. untill they lose a game without whining about the pitcher cheating or something about the mound being wrong or fireworks distracting them after a home run or better yet complaining about headhunting because their best guy got hit in a situation where everybody but them realize it was not intentional then yea I will hate them with a passion a real fan would feel. I have yet to hear a cardinal fan say anything positive about the reds either here or in st.louis. I have family there so I am pretty up to date on their feelings towrds the reds and they do not like them or their fans either. wear a shirt of another team other than the cards at your own peril.I wear my reds gear win or lose proudly and hear about it from them. to bad you do not agree with my view but enough with your morally superior attitude about it I am as embarassed about your lack of passion for the reds as you are about my passion for them.

3. natstowngreg - Feb 16, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Are you absolutely positive they retired?

Sorry, but Brett Favre screwed up the concept of retirement so badly, it’s hard to tell anymore.

4. Utley's Hair - Feb 16, 2012 at 12:44 PM

I could’ve sworn Franklin was going to be named strength and conditioning coach or something like that.

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 16, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Nope…the hitting coach has that handled. It’s a win-win.
      The organization saves dollars by adding responsibilities to the hitting coach and the team learns how to work out properly.

• plmathfoto - Feb 16, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Franklin could have taught how to stretch your neck from his experience at watching the ball fly out of the park after he pitched it.

LOLOL at the responsibilities of the hitting coach being strength and conditioning. How to use PEDs and call them something else or lie about it, and what I’ve learned since I retired (hide the bottle!))

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 16, 2012 at 2:06 PM

You got it PLM. Proper training is critically important. Hopefully, he coaches the hitters like he has the last couple of years so they can continue hitting frozen ropes.

5. jwbiii - Feb 16, 2012 at 4:31 PM

I’m not sure about the wisdom of giving a FO job to a guy whose brother is a player agent.

Papelbon destined to be traded?
  1. G. Stanton (3514)