Feb 16, 2012, 2:40 PM EDT
Rockies manager Jim Tracy told Renck that Nicasio “has a very, very good chance to be a member of our rotation” and “is coming into camp with the mindset that he’s making the team.”
Colorado has plenty of young rotation options, so Nicasio will definitely have to pitch his way into a starting role, but the fact that he’s simply in the mix is pretty remarkable just seven months after a line drive to the head left him with a fractured C-1 vertebrae.
Prior to the scary injury Nicasio made 13 starts with a 4.14 ERA and 58/18 K/BB ratio in 72 innings as a 24-year-old rookie making the jump directly from Double-A, and his minor-league track record includes a 3.40 ERA and fantastic 467/104 K/BB ratio in 471 innings.
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (211)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (121)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)