Feb 16, 2012, 8:57 AM EDT
Whenever we post something about Nyjer Morgan and hockey — he was a big time hockey player before he chose to go with baseball — someone comments — completely innocently and benignly — that it is unusual to see a black hockey player.
Which, OK. They’re just going with demographic norms here, so it’s defensible. We’ve made the discourse such that we never feel comfortable pointing out the bleedin’ obvious, but the fact is that, no, there aren’t tons of black guys who play hockey.
Obviously Nyjer Morgan himself is aware of this, because he made a video explaining that, yes, he as a black guy plays hockey. He then takes the opportunity to explain what other things black guys do. It’s pretty stereotypical: watch “Twilight,” play with kitties, etc.
And aww, I love kitties. And after watching this video, I like Nyjer Morgan a lot more than I did before too, “Twilight” notwithstanding.
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 4
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 7
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 27
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 58
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 78
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (189)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)