Feb 16, 2012, 8:57 AM EST
Whenever we post something about Nyjer Morgan and hockey — he was a big time hockey player before he chose to go with baseball — someone comments — completely innocently and benignly — that it is unusual to see a black hockey player.
Which, OK. They’re just going with demographic norms here, so it’s defensible. We’ve made the discourse such that we never feel comfortable pointing out the bleedin’ obvious, but the fact is that, no, there aren’t tons of black guys who play hockey.
Obviously Nyjer Morgan himself is aware of this, because he made a video explaining that, yes, he as a black guy plays hockey. He then takes the opportunity to explain what other things black guys do. It’s pretty stereotypical: watch “Twilight,” play with kitties, etc.
And aww, I love kitties. And after watching this video, I like Nyjer Morgan a lot more than I did before too, “Twilight” notwithstanding.
- UPDATE: Mariners planning to offer nine years, $225 million to Robinson Cano 16
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (135)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (98)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (86)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (80)