Feb 16, 2012, 8:57 AM EDT
Whenever we post something about Nyjer Morgan and hockey — he was a big time hockey player before he chose to go with baseball — someone comments — completely innocently and benignly — that it is unusual to see a black hockey player.
Which, OK. They’re just going with demographic norms here, so it’s defensible. We’ve made the discourse such that we never feel comfortable pointing out the bleedin’ obvious, but the fact is that, no, there aren’t tons of black guys who play hockey.
Obviously Nyjer Morgan himself is aware of this, because he made a video explaining that, yes, he as a black guy plays hockey. He then takes the opportunity to explain what other things black guys do. It’s pretty stereotypical: watch “Twilight,” play with kitties, etc.
And aww, I love kitties. And after watching this video, I like Nyjer Morgan a lot more than I did before too, “Twilight” notwithstanding.
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 4
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 15
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 49
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)