Feb 16, 2012, 8:57 AM EDT
Whenever we post something about Nyjer Morgan and hockey — he was a big time hockey player before he chose to go with baseball — someone comments — completely innocently and benignly — that it is unusual to see a black hockey player.
Which, OK. They’re just going with demographic norms here, so it’s defensible. We’ve made the discourse such that we never feel comfortable pointing out the bleedin’ obvious, but the fact is that, no, there aren’t tons of black guys who play hockey.
Obviously Nyjer Morgan himself is aware of this, because he made a video explaining that, yes, he as a black guy plays hockey. He then takes the opportunity to explain what other things black guys do. It’s pretty stereotypical: watch “Twilight,” play with kitties, etc.
And aww, I love kitties. And after watching this video, I like Nyjer Morgan a lot more than I did before too, “Twilight” notwithstanding.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)