Nyjer Morgan plays hockey, is a black guy

Feb 16, 2012, 8:57 AM EDT

Whenever we post something about Nyjer Morgan and hockey — he was a big time hockey player before he chose to go with baseball — someone comments — completely innocently and benignly — that it is unusual to see a black hockey player.

Which, OK. They’re just going with demographic norms here, so it’s defensible. We’ve made the discourse such that we never feel comfortable pointing out the bleedin’ obvious, but the fact is that, no, there aren’t tons of black guys who play hockey.

Obviously Nyjer Morgan himself is aware of this, because he made a video explaining that, yes, he as a black guy plays hockey. He then takes the opportunity to explain what other things black guys do.  It’s pretty stereotypical:  watch “Twilight,” play with kitties, etc.

And aww, I love kitties. And after watching this video, I like Nyjer Morgan a lot more than I did before too, “Twilight” notwithstanding.

1. phukyouk - Feb 16, 2012 at 9:09 AM

you keep setting them up and we will keep knocking them down

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Feb 16, 2012 at 11:10 AM

• cleverbob - Feb 16, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Thumbs down for Richard Pryor? He had to cancel a swimming lesson!

• lostsok - Feb 16, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Anyone who thumbs down Richard Pryor has no soul. No soul.

2. paperlions - Feb 16, 2012 at 9:12 AM

That was 12 kinds of awesome….even though I am white, don’t care for cats, have never seen anything related to Twilight, or played hockey (though I can skate and do love fishing).

• cur68 - Feb 16, 2012 at 7:35 PM

I agree. That WAS awesome but I, unlike you ‘lions, do like cats (but prefer dogs) & have played hockey (Twilight is for teenage girls). Do love fishing, though. I golf, too. Me & Tony Plush: we so stereotypical.

3. noid25 - Feb 16, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Some of us can swim and surf too! Not all of us can play basketball! LOL

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 16, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Hahaha! You mean your not afraid of the water Noid? Great stuff man. LOL!

• lostsok - Feb 16, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Hey, didn’t Karl Malone even listen to Country music? I’m still not sure I buy that. Of course, I don’t understand why ANYONE listens to Country, so that may be a factor in my confusion…

4. illcomm - Feb 16, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Stop with the racist headline.

• phukyouk - Feb 16, 2012 at 9:29 AM

I’m going to go out on a limb here and assume that you just troll this site waiting for a moment to say something negative, right? I could be wrong but i dont think i have ever seen you say anything other than ” we don’t care” or ” this is of no interest” or anything along those lines.

• gerryb323 - Feb 16, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Which is ironical in itself, no?

• phukyouk - Feb 16, 2012 at 9:43 AM

well im just happy that hes speaking for all of us!

• lanpar - Feb 16, 2012 at 1:36 PM

poor illcomm has not got laid in years….troll is his only love now……hahahahahahahaha

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 16, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Don’t sweat it Phukyouk. The word on the street is he suffers from (SPS). After all…I am sure tou would be a whoa’s me…pessimistic Pete…glass is half empty….negative Nellie if you suffered from SPS.

• phukyouk - Feb 16, 2012 at 2:17 PM

ahhh.. SPS… i understand

• paperlions - Feb 16, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Dang hockey fans are sensitive.

• cur68 - Feb 16, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Are not

5. jwbiii - Feb 16, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Hockey is popular in Canada.
    Athletic young men in Canada are likely to play hockey.
    Nyjer Morgan grew up in Canada.

• patg1041 - Feb 16, 2012 at 9:55 AM

While not an airtight source, wikipedia says he grew up in San Francisco and became interested in hockey after watching the 1988 olympics. Thats actually what makes him unique. There are a number of black Canadians that play hockey, but I’m not sure I know of any other black Americans that play hockey.

• wlschneider09 - Feb 16, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Robbie Earl, Kyle Okposo, Greg Mauldin, Mike Grier, Mike McHugh, Gerald Coleman, Val James

• jwbiii - Feb 16, 2012 at 10:31 AM

B-Ref has him as drafted out of St. Albert, Alberta. St. Albert is also the hometown of Jarome Iginla and Mark Messier.

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 16, 2012 at 2:15 PM

You got it Pat. He grew up in Northern California.

• Jeremy Klumpp - Feb 16, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Morgan was born in San Fran, grew up in San Jose and played junior hockey in Canada. He may have been living in Alberta when he was drafted by the Pirates. Also, I believe Dustin Byfuglien is American.

• ufullpj - Feb 16, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Morgan is from San Jose. We was playing hockey in Alberta when he was drafted. He’s not Canadian. Not that there’s anything wrong with that….

6. Francisco (FC) - Feb 16, 2012 at 9:37 AM

I….. play boardgames… I’m not terribly athletic…

7. paulsdamnblog - Feb 16, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Nyjer Morgan must have so much fun being Nyjer Morgan.

8. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Feb 16, 2012 at 10:51 AM

I had a black friend in college. That is how I know I am not racist.

• cur68 - Feb 16, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Well you know me on this board, so there’s that going for you.

9. CJ - Feb 16, 2012 at 11:52 AM

“We’ve made the discourse such that we never feel comfortable pointing out the bleedin’ obvious”

But you feel perfectly comfortable to point out that a certain Hawaiian dude happens to play baseball every time you write about him. Are you racist against Hawaiians then?

• natstowngreg - Feb 16, 2012 at 12:39 PM

He’s not prejudiced against Hawaiians. He’s prejudiced against Phillies, regardelss of race, creed, or color.

• Utley's Hair - Feb 16, 2012 at 12:42 PM

He doesn’t mention Hawaiian in every post that mentions Victorino. As a matter of fact, we need to stay on top of the HBT bloggers to make sure such a travesty doesn’t happen any more than it absolutely has to.

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 16, 2012 at 2:17 PM

CJ: I think the rule stipulates that you are allowed to make those distinctions with any race that is NOT black. If you make that distinction with regards to a black person you are a blatant racist.
      Like C.C. posted though…I had a black friend one time so I know I am not racist.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Feb 16, 2012 at 2:18 PM

If Nyjer punched Victorino, and someone called it a Hawaiian Punch, would that be racist against Hawaiians, blacks, both or neither?

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 16, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Great stuff C.C. I am still laughing. That’s some funny shit.

10. foreverchipper10 - Feb 16, 2012 at 12:17 PM

This makes me laugh :)

I also now like Nyjer Morgan a lot more than I did before.

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 16, 2012 at 2:21 PM

I hear you Larry. Unfortunately…I like his punk ass a lot more than I did before as well.
      The Hockey piece with the Sharks was great. But the latest video is even better.

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 16, 2012 at 2:24 PM

I am right there with you Larry. Unfortunately, I like his punk ass a lot more than I did before as well. The earlier clip of him skating with the Sharks was funny. This one easily trumps it.
      Funny…funny stuff.

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 16, 2012 at 4:37 PM

I hear you Larry. Unfortunately, I am starting to like his punk ass a lot more as well.
      The clip from a while ago that showed him skating with the Sharks was funny.
      But this latest one is even better. Funny…funny stuff.

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 16, 2012 at 5:20 PM

I am right there with you Larry.
      Unfortunately, I like his punk ass a lot more than I did before as well.
      That earlier clip of him skating with the Sharks was funny.
      This one easily trumps that. Funny…funny stuff Man!

11. stlouis1baseball - Feb 16, 2012 at 2:27 PM

I agree 100% Larry. Unfortunately, I like his punk ass a lot more than I did before.
    The earlier clip of him skating with the Sharks was damn funny.
    This latest video easily trumps that. Funny…funny stuff.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate