Reds sign Brett Tomko to a minor league contract

Feb 16, 2012, 8:15 PM EDT

brett-tomko

Brett Tomko’s career is about to come full circle.

According to Ben Nicholson-Smith of MLB Trade Rumors, the Reds have agreed to sign Tomko to a minor league contract.

Tomko, who turns 39 in April, was originally drafted by the Reds in the second round of the 1995 draft and spent his first three major league seasons with the club before being traded to the Mariners in February of 2000 along with Mike Cameron, Antonio Perez and Jake Meyer in the deal that brought Ken Griffey, Jr. to Cincinnati.

The veteran right-hander made eight relief appearances with the Rangers early last year, but spent most of the season at the team’s Triple-A affiliate, posting an ugly 6.15 ERA and 82/42 K/BB ratio over 108 1/3 innings. He’s unlikely to crack Cincinnati’s Opening Day roster.

1. dirtyharry1971 - Feb 16, 2012 at 9:24 PM

ok i guess i gotta ask….why?

• stevincinci - Feb 16, 2012 at 11:33 PM

I second that motion.

2. okwhitefalcon - Feb 16, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Another former Card (albeit 1 totally worthless year I believe) – have at it meathead65!

• 78mu - Feb 16, 2012 at 9:33 PM

If I remember correctly, he had trouble taking Duncan’s advice. While Duncan may get a shot at being the first pitching coach to make it to the HoF Tomko can’t even get a major league contract with a team that hands them out like candy to ex-Cards.

• metalhead65 - Feb 16, 2012 at 9:41 PM

don’t worry with dusty as the manager and card for life jocketty as the gm if he only gives up the same amount of runs as his era this spring he will get a big league contract.

3. metalhead65 - Feb 16, 2012 at 10:10 PM

I understand you saber people do not put much stock in ERA’S but the reds must have signed and put together the worst roster of collective ERA’S in the history of baseball this off season. tomco is 38 going on 39 with a 5.36 lifetime ERA what possible reason could they have to sign this guy? to help set a record of most clubs pitched for in the majors? since jocketty doesn’t look at these things before he signs these rejects isn’t there somebody in the reds organazation that can look at them and say there is a reason nobody wants them or they have played with 10 different teams? for a team that is going all in this season they sure are making some stupid decisions.

• sfs1 - Feb 16, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Someone doesn’t know about roster filling.

• im4cincy - Feb 16, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Dude, are you clueless? Act like you have common sense and acknowledge the fact that Tomko is being brought in under the same circumstances as every other washed up vet. What a steal if he can give a few useful innings late in the season. If he doesn’t pan out, who cares?

And bringing in Madson and Marshall to anchor the bullpen with those horrid 2.37 and 2.26 ERAs last year seems to make you look like an idiot. Worst collective ERAs in baseball?? Quit being a troll.

• metalhead65 - Feb 16, 2012 at 11:44 PM

so you are saying tomko the reject they got from the yankees and they guy from kc were all great signings with good ERA’S? talk about clueless,how are these guys suddenly going to from 5 and over era’s to suddleny being steals and giving the reds useful innings?I would assume a baseball expert like yourself would know who I was talking about when I said washed up vets which obviously Madson and Marshall are not. I am amzed that anything I write pertaining to my team that is “negative” means I am not a true fan of my team. it’s called passion people!hey I hope I am wrong amd all these rejects turn into allstars and lead the reds to a world series victory. but realisticly with stats like that I think we both know that is not going to hapen. as for who cares I don’t know maybe the young pitcher whose spot on the club he will take because Dusty will go with a vet because of his experiance. or maybe a reds fan like me who will have to watch these guys and their inflated era’s get pounded. I am not clueless and probably have forgotten more about the reds and baseball than you will ever know.

4. im4cincy - Feb 17, 2012 at 1:32 AM

As was mentioned earlier this tomko thing is most likely just roster filling. I just don’t see the need to be up in arms about such a small transaction.

And nobody is questioning your fanhood big dog. Just wondering why you consider all the miscellaneous scrubs a team signs just so they can run spring training as of they are gonna be the guys on the field every day.

Damn

• metalhead65 - Feb 17, 2012 at 2:25 AM

do you really follow the reds? do the names patterson,taveras,gomes and lewis ring a bell? all scrubs from other teams who not only made the roster but were starters! so excuse me if I don’t believe they are just spring training fillers. one of them might get lucky and have a good spring make the team, then will revert back to their true selves once the season starts,and do not kid yourself dusty will take a vet with a decent spring over a young guy with a good one.

• dalton2green - Feb 17, 2012 at 8:37 AM

Metalhead 65,

One more thing do u enjoy being an eternal pessimist? Dusty has made several key mistakes, but to say the reds are filled with scrubs is asinine! Do the names cueto, latos, phillips, rolen, votto, bruce, madson, marshall sound familiar? Get a clue

• metalhead65 - Feb 17, 2012 at 10:01 AM

did I miss the part where those guys where those guys were other teams scrubs? besides rolen how many of those guys have played for multiple teams? do their stats match those of the guys who the reds signed that I pointed out where nothing to get excited about? get a clue about what I actually said and tell me where I was wrong about the signings I was unhappy about.

• dalton2green - Feb 17, 2012 at 8:32 AM

Metalhead65,
      For someone who knows soooo much about the Red’s you sure make yourself sound ignorant! I am a lifetime Cincy fan so don’t start on that first off! Secoundly, your comparing a bunch of outfielders to a pitcher? Gomes, Lewis, Patterson, Taveras were all terrible yes, but they were played due to no better options or lack of options in sending them down! We have our rotation of cueto,latos,arroyo set with either chapman, leake, bailey filling out the final 2 spots! Andrew Brackman(the new york guy) was once a top prospect so the Reds are seeing if he can be reclaimed in the minors, jeff francis and brett tomko are fillers for the minors as believe it or not they need depth in the minors!! Also, you stated about how many teams is tomko gonna be on? Are you kidding me?? He was with the reds from 95-99 and was one of the integral parts along with cameron who brought over griffey!! Metalhead unless your 15 yrs old there is no excuse for you ignorance!

• jwbiii - Feb 17, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Bailey is out of options, so he’ll get a rotation spot.

5. metalhead65 - Feb 17, 2012 at 10:51 AM

speaking of ignorance what does the fact he was part of the griffey deal have to with the fact that has pitched for like 10 different teams besides the reds? my point being if he was so good why so many teams? there is a reason for that and that is he is a arm and that’s it.good enough to make a team but not a difference.got anything else to show how ignorant I am clown?

• foreverchipper10 - Feb 17, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Because you said are the Reds signing him so he can say he played for every team when he has, in fact, already played for the Reds meaning your statement made no sense.

• dalton2green - Feb 17, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Exactly

• dalton2green - Feb 17, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Metalhead65,

You clearly only read what you want to read and only see the facts you want to see! I pointed out ogher players because you have an obsession with mentioning these four players! Tomko’s signing is irrelevant as he signed a low risk minor league deal.. id much rather have dusty, a 3 time manager of the year winner at the helm than a jerry narron or a ray mcknight or mackinon.. I guess you forgot that this is the same club that won 90 games two years ago! You can continue to be one of the eternal pessimists and ssume the reds will be bad, but id rather be excited about the marshall trade, latos trade, the ryan ludwick signing( and yes he is a former cardinal, get over it)

6. metalhead65 - Feb 17, 2012 at 12:43 PM

your right I am so sorry and now am so excited over these singings and can’t wait for more just like them. that’s right whatever moves they make are fantastic and should be applauded no questions asked. all former cardinals are welcome,why we are at it why not call up tony and invite him to camp to share his vast knowledge? dusty is the greatest manager ever and should not be questined because of those awards he won with the steroid superstars he had right?the fact that he finished below .500 with the same team he had 2010 is not his fault right? I vow to be optimistic from now on and never question the reds moves again. does this make me a better fan now?blind loyalty is always best right? you root for them your way and iwill do it my way, don’t like it? tough I am not changing so get over it.

• dalton2green - Feb 17, 2012 at 1:42 PM

I just don’t understand your fuss over a minor league deal. He isn’t going to see the majors and if he does id rather someone with 100 career victories pitch a few games then some 12th round rookie. Your getting all worked up over minor league deals that if they work out fine, but most probably will be dumped! And as far as Dusty? You could make that same argument for any manager who won in the 90’s but I guess that wouldn’t support your argument would it! I guess jim leyland is an awful manager. I guess tony larussa is bad as they both had steroid users on their teams! Its incredible how short sighted you are!! Also, as far as jocketty id make the argument that every GM brings in some guys from their past! He did the same thing when he left the A’s in bringing mcgwire to the cardinals and theo is doing the same in chi town! I haven’t once said that ( agree with every move, but im intelligent enough to understand that the moves made right now don’t mean anything untill once spring training has been gone through. My guess is you wont understand anything im saying or you will dismiss it simplu on the premise that you refuse to awknowlege you may be making something over nothing

• jwbiii - Feb 17, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Really. You’re making an awful lot of noise over Louisville’s #3 starter.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. R. Castillo (3664)