Feb 16, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
In a move that most of us probably wouldn’t notice if it wasn’t for the fact that he is a really bright guy who has, in the past, done interesting things that ballplayers tend not to do, Ross Ohlendorf has signed a minor league deal with the Red Sox.
So, yes, from a personality standpoint that’s neat. From a baseball standpoint — no offense, Ross — pretty meaningless. Ohlendorf has battled shoulder problems for two years, posted an 8.15 ERA in eight starts last year and looks to be more than organizational depth at best for the Red Sox.
But hey, at least he’s got that Princeton degree and the research experience at the Department of Agriculture to all back on.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)