There will be no discipline for Josh Hamilton

Feb 16, 2012, 2:06 PM EST

Josh Hamilton Getty Images

Because of Josh Hamilton‘s severe substance abuse history, MLB has taken an interest in the young man since he resumed his baseball career following all of that time in the wilderness.  He has to check in with the league’s substance abuse panel and stuff.  And according to Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News, he did just that recently, and they’re content to let his latest lapse go without formal discipline:

Daniels said beyond formal discipline, any recommendations made by the MLB substance-abuse panel are confidential.

“We will take additional steps to support him,” Daniels said. “We will have more ability to help him during the season. There will be no formal discipline.”

Hamilton was on some radio show on Glen Beck’s video network thingy the other night and said he’s undergoing counseling — both drug and couples counseling — so that’s probably all that’ll happen.

No word on what this all means for Whitney Houston.

1. acdc363 - Feb 16, 2012 at 2:13 PM

It means:

Hamilton – 1
    Houston – 0

…for now…

2. Old Gator - Feb 16, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Considering that his “substance abuse” in this case was alcohol, not a banned substance, they’d’ve been hard pressed to penalize him as long as nothing else of questionable legal standing occurred (though moral standing is another issue altogether; still, out of their baliwick unless they want to put the pursuit of strange on the table and fling open the gates of Hell altogether).

Without knowing the entire story, I guess I have to speculate that the horrible episode last season involving the fan who fell to his death trying to catch Hamilton’s souvenir baseball had a lot to do with his current tailspin. Nevertheless, Hamilton has come so far from his youthful hellbender towards self-destruction that you have to hope he can get this latest backwards momentum under control and keep his life and family together.

• nategearhart - Feb 16, 2012 at 2:31 PM

“…they’d’ve been hard pressed to penalize him…”

That won’t stop a lot of the media zealots from crying over MLB’s “failure” to discipline him, I bet.

• nategearhart - Feb 16, 2012 at 2:37 PM

“…they’d’ve been hard pressed to penalize him…”

That won’t stop some media zealots from lamenting MLB’s “failure” to discipline.

• drmonkeyarmy - Feb 16, 2012 at 3:05 PM

It would depend. Obviously I have no insider knowledge into the MLB substance abuse panel, but my guess is they could stipulate that he not drink.

• patg1041 - Feb 16, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Exactly. He was so distraught over the fan that died the only cure for his pain was to go out, get hammered, and fuck random chicks in bar restrooms. If I’ve seen it once I’ve seen it a thousand times.

• Old Gator - Feb 17, 2012 at 12:55 AM

It probably beats slashing his wrists, which is something else you would have seen plenty of if you understood human anguish even marginally enough to know where to look in the first place.

• patg1041 - Feb 17, 2012 at 8:59 AM

You’re right Old Gator. If I inadvertently caused a man’s death, of course cheating on my wife is the first thing that comes to mind. I’ve seen the light! Josh Hamilton isn’t just some guy who gets payed millions to play a game, despite all the advantages in the world can’t control his drinking, and hides behind his alcoholism and his faith to excuse his infidelity. No, he’s none of those things. He’s a victim and a hero. Let us shower him with sympathy and admiration. Now, Gary Carter, a man who battled cancer, and who by all accounts did so with an unbelievably positive attitude. Fuck him. He probably had it coming. He never did anything so noble as cheating on his wife.

• patg1041 - Feb 17, 2012 at 9:34 AM

OldGator, I also want to comment on something else. What in the fuck makes you think I’ve never seen real human suffering? You don’t know a god damn thing about me. Now, I’ve never been closely associated with an addict no, but you know what I have seen? I’ve seen enough real human suffering to know not to waste any sympathy on someone with self created problems. In my line of work I’ve seen family members uncontrollably distraught by the loss of loved ones. I’ve seen parents come running out of the house with their dead child in their arms, only to have to tell them, I’m sorry, there’s nothing we can do. I’ve seen families devastated by the loss of their home and possessions. I’ve also seen the very worst in humanity. I’ve seen enough to know that some people are simply not worth it. So, please, tell me again why I should have sympathy for someone who can’t manage to stay sober or keep his prick in his pants.

• Old Gator - Feb 17, 2012 at 11:51 AM

I came to my conclusions about your ignorance of suffering based on the ignorance, abyssal cynicism, blindness and callousness expressed in your post. One works with what one has. Your confession of ignorance about addictive personalities was gratuitous since your original post made that so abundantly clear.

Now, of course, I also have your grating holier-than-though sanctimoniousness to work with. Not a pretty picture.

• Old Gator - Feb 17, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Oop, hit “post” too soon.

To conclude: most sanctimonious people I know suffer, like you, from an inflexibility of vision that keeps them from comprehending how or why anyone else might respond differently from the way they “would” respond to a given situation. Guys like you universalize your own field of experience or behavior into the gold standard for everyone else’s behavior. It seems not to occur to such people that with nearly four billion souls each with their own respective constitutions and histories on the planet there might be other circumstances, conditions, histories, environments and – as has become increasingly clear through genetic research, metabolic or neurological research and other forms of medical investigation – physical and/or inherited properties that make resisting or surmounting addiction much more difficult and complicated for some people than others. So when you pass judgment on Josh Hamilton – who, by the way, has also made himself into a terrific practitioner of some very, very difficult skill sets despite the roadblacks, self-imposed or physiological or whatever that have been placed in his path – out of your own puckered field of experience, you do indeed come off sounding blind, ignorant and callous. Deal with it.

• stex52 - Feb 17, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Wow, OG! Remind me to stay at least marginally on your good side. But in this case I agree anyway. The man has made himself a lightning rod by being so public in his fight for redemption, so he gets a lot of negative coverage. But he doesn’t even approach a Mickey Mantle or Babe Ruth in behaviors. Common decency should dictate that we stay in his corner.

• patg1041 - Feb 17, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Well old gator, since you opened the door, please feel free to cite and link to multiple studies confirming your assertion that Josh Hamilton is genetically predisposed to sticking his dick in strange…er having difficulties in maintaining sobriety. Otherwise, I have no reason to believe you. As far as I’m concerned, your credibility amounts to precisely dick.

3. randygnyc - Feb 16, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Well, other than the loss of his marriage, half his fortune and the monitored visitation, every other weekend, with his children. Nope, no repercussions.

• nategearhart - Feb 16, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Yes, yes, we know. Because his father in law decided not to be his accountability coach or whatever, you are just certain that his marriage is on the rocks. Maybe it’s true, maybe it’s not. Why do you constantly bring it up? It’s like an obsession.
      Unfortunately, I get the feeling at this point that you hope he loses his marriage so that you can say you were right all along. It’s pretty disgusting.

• Old Gator - Feb 16, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Yeah, it’s a bad-news scenario all around. Let’s just hope for the sake of everyone involved that he pulls himself back together and that doesn’t come to pass.

4. Baseball Beer Burritos In That Order - Feb 16, 2012 at 2:19 PM

This news is sure to inspire more lazy pious writing from columnists the country over, but I’d say all things considered it’s great news. Addiction can be intensely painful to a person, because for a self-realized addict there is a constant reminder that you have limitations, that something perceived as “normal” by others can lead to the destruction of everything in your life. Never been a Hamilton fan by any means (can’t stand evangelicals) but I wish the guy the best of luck and hope he can feel comfortable and happy again.

5. claysbar - Feb 16, 2012 at 2:41 PM

“He has to check in with the league’s substance abuse panel and stuff.”

Now that’s journalism!! Was this written by a thirteen year old girl??

• nategearhart - Feb 16, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Has he ever claimed to be a journalist?

• Baseball Beer Burritos In That Order - Feb 16, 2012 at 3:21 PM

I don’t know!!! Did you write it??

• claysbar - Feb 17, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Really, that’s your statement? Really?

6. threeputtguy - Feb 16, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Why would they?

7. drmonkeyarmy - Feb 16, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Here is the thing…in some professional organizations when somebody gets in trouble for substance abuse there is the additional stipulation that they not drink. For example, I work with some other pharmacists who have problems with various substance of abuse. As part of their agreement with the professional monitoring organization, there drug test also includes tests for alcohol consumption. Therefore, there is a chance, if not likely that whatever agreement Hamilton has with MLB and their monitoring agency forbids him to imbibe alcohol.

8. stex52 - Feb 16, 2012 at 3:23 PM

From an actual behvior standpoint, there are baseball players (probably on every team) behaving far worse than he has recently. There would be no punishment for them, nor should there be for him if he doesn’t impair his ability to play in the process.

But he will definitely be punished. By engaging in such a public struggle for redemption (and I don’t mean this negatively, if it helps him I am all for it) he has put any of this behavior in play. Human psychology being what it is, any GM looking at this free agency next year is upgrading the perceived risk of a long term deal with Hamilton. While he has done nothing particularly impressive from a degenerate behavior standpoint lately (probably less than your average college freshman), all of his actions are being watched. He is graded more harshly than Bryce Harper, who has pretty much said he wants to behave like that all of the time.

I’m sure the cost to him in future contracts is in the tens of millions of dollars.

9. dirkified - Feb 16, 2012 at 3:47 PM

what happened to the video of him banging some girl in the bathroom? The video is being shopped by a Sherlocks employee for $40K and was in the news. How come that talk died down or is it just local to DFW?

GO RANGERS

• Old Gator - Feb 16, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Perhaps he got visited by a lawyer or two and informed that if he made the video public, he and his employer would spend every penny they made for the next five years on lawyers, win lose or draw.

10. hep3 - Feb 16, 2012 at 4:14 PM

I gotta believe that couples counseling is punishment enough…….

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. J. Kang (2818)
  2. W. Myers (2573)
  3. D. Ross (2261)
  4. C. McGehee (2177)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2005)
  1. J. Shields (1924)