Feb 16, 2012, 5:07 PM EST
Miguel Cabrera‘s planned shift across the diamond means Brandon Inge is no longer the Tigers’ starting third baseman, but manager Jim Leyland said today that the team will give him an opportunity to compete for the job at second base.
Inge is 34 years old and has played 1,800 professional games without logging even one inning at second base. On the other hand, in theory at least an excellent defensive third baseman could be reasonably decent at second base and … well, when a team is already committed to using Cabrera every day at third base what’s another infielder playing out of position?
Inge’s primary competition at second base is Ramon Santiago and Ryan Raburn, so it might not take much to snag the gig. Of course, Inge hit .197 last year to earn a midseason demotion to Triple-A and hasn’t had an OPS above .725 since 2006. He’s under contract for $5.5 million.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 43
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 84
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 36
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)