Yet another Josh Hamilton-Whitney Houston column

Feb 16, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT

Whitney Houston

On Monday we watched Patrick Rishe of Forbes, in much the way we’d watch a car wreck, make a hamfisted comparison between Josh Hamilton and Whitney Houston.  I figured no one else would touch that, but I guess I figured wrong.

Jen Engel of Foxsports.com has one today. It’s nowhere near as bad as Rishe’s. Indeed, it says some decent things about addiction. And Whitney Houston for that matter.  I just don’t know why they go together other than “famous addicts each in the news in the past couple of weeks.”

There are a lot of ballplayers who struggled with addiction. I’d have to figure that their examples are far more relevant to Josh Hamilton than Whitney Houston’s is.

1. Old Gator - Feb 16, 2012 at 11:38 AM

What, no Cleopatra-Whitney Huston comparisons yet?

2. mattintoledo - Feb 16, 2012 at 11:46 AM

You’ll know they’re really stretching for page views when their headline is “Hamilton needs to be less Whitney Houston, more Jeremy Lin”.

3. butchhuskey - Feb 16, 2012 at 11:47 AM

I have to take issue with a part of the article- He doesn’t need someone to tell him to stop or a bodyguard blocking the door, but he needs prayers? Look, I’m not completely anti-religion but I’m sure most will agree that praying is not like a genie in a bottle that grants you wishes. The writer mentions that Hamilton’s problem is very real, which means that he needs real help from those in his life. If praying/hoping gives someone a sense of comfort and security then that’s fine, but you can’t just ignore the other steps that need to be taken.

• nategearhart - Feb 16, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Amen (pun intended).

• butchhuskey - Feb 16, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Nevermind, I misread part of it. She did say that he needed someone to say not to do it to himself.

4. phukyouk - Feb 16, 2012 at 12:05 PM

I’m sorry, but did this really Happen?

(the link from Craig)

• bigleagues - Feb 16, 2012 at 12:12 PM

PHUKYOUK:

To quote Amy & Seth . . . REALLY?! REALLY, NOW?! ARE YA SERIOUS?! REALLY?!

I don’t if I should hug you or laugh . . . are you really just finding out about Kaycee Dugard for the first time?

YES, it really happened!!!

• phukyouk - Feb 16, 2012 at 12:14 PM

before i give my response i need to know if you are being sarcastic.

• phukyouk - Feb 16, 2012 at 12:34 PM

OK! well i know you read my question cause you gave me a thumbs down. before i answer your question do you honestly believe that i read an article on “sports”, i then googled her name, I then went back and read it again and THEN i decided to post in a baseball blog how upset and shocked i am about this girls ordeal OR do you think that im just shocked that someone was a big enough douchebag to use her captivity as an excuse for not knowing what to write?

5. bigleagues - Feb 16, 2012 at 12:07 PM

In an effort to saturate, satiate and ingratiate every ingrate in the mediasphere let’s attempt to connect every sad story to every other potentially sad story until we have 1 degree of separation between EVERYTHING and EVERYONE known to man (and that other gender).

Seriously? What does Josh Hamilton have to do with Whitney Houston? Virtually nothing.

What does Jeremy Lin really have to do with Tim Tebow? Virtually nothLINg other than they are pro athletes who trumpet the virtues of God whether the rest of us care or not. But that doesn’t stop mass media from finding any little insignificant angle they can to drive viewership, readership and Xanax sales – pretty much all based on the God connection.

I mean seriously, WTF?!?!?! Enough already.

Jeremy Lin is a great story as an underdog. But stop the allusions to VINsanity – who was a true phenom upon touching down in the NBA. One semi-responsible media outlet today characterized the Lin’s improbable run as a perfect storm – and when you consider the teams the Knicks have beaten are a combined 40 or so games under .500 – that’s exactly what we are seeing – a perfect storm for a smart good kid who has worked hard and deserved a shot . . . and not the second coming of Magic Johnson as has been the level of media hype.

Josh Hamilton is a recovering addict. From what I know and have read, Josh Hamilton has actually gone to real rehab and has really worked his program. He is trying. Doubtful the same could have ever seriously been said about Whitney Houston. Amazing talent, gorgeous woman and voice. Sorry to sound cold, but she’s dead because despite an endless amount of resources available to her, she didn’t try hard enough for her or her the sake of her daughter. I’m not about to sit here and liken Josh Hamilton of 2012 to Whitney Houston, RIP.

IJDGAF.

Now can we please get back to baseball? If I want to talk addiction & self-destruction I can turn on the go just about anywhere else on the internet.

6. natstowngreg - Feb 16, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Hang in there, Craig. Pitchers and catchers are headed to Florida and Arizona as we blog, and you will soon have lots of actual baseball stories.

7. renorocker - Feb 16, 2012 at 12:37 PM

What????? DId something happen to Whitney?

8. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Feb 16, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Wouldn’t Len Bias be a better comparison? Whitney Houston is a good comp if you’ve been doing blow for 20 years and your body finally says that’s enough.

• jwbiii - Feb 16, 2012 at 3:53 PM

So Rod Beck?

If you were into that sort of thing, it would be kind of fun to cut lines with your own baseball card.

Orioles turn AL East on its head