Feb 17, 2012, 10:15 AM EST
David Ortiz and the Red Sox created a whole lot of drama before eventually compromising at the exact midpoint and avoiding arbitration, but publicly at least Ortiz seems fine with the outcome after previously wanting a multi-year contract.
“I feel happy since I avoided going to arbitration,” Ortiz told the Associated Press. “People are used to see me with the Red Sox uniform and when you have so much time in one organization, and you’re identified with it, the best thing is to stay, even if it is for one or two million less.”
His one-year deal is a massive one at $14.575 million, so that obviously helps, and by settling at the midpoint Ortiz avoided the chance of arbitrators ruling in favor of the Red Sox to give him only a very small raise from 2011. Instead he gets a $2.075 million bump after hitting .309 with 29 homers and his highest OPS since 2007.
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 3
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 44
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 46
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 56
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (111)