David Ortiz: “I feel happy since I avoided arbitration”

Feb 17, 2012, 10:15 AM EST

Boston Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz reacts after flying out against the Tampa Bay Rays during the eighth inning of their MLB American League baseball game at Fenway Park in Boston

David Ortiz and the Red Sox created a whole lot of drama before eventually compromising at the exact midpoint and avoiding arbitration, but publicly at least Ortiz seems fine with the outcome after previously wanting a multi-year contract.

“I feel happy since I avoided going to arbitration,” Ortiz told the Associated Press. “People are used to see me with the Red Sox uniform and when you have so much time in one organization, and you’re identified with it, the best thing is to stay, even if it is for one or two million less.”

His one-year deal is a massive one at $14.575 million, so that obviously helps, and by settling at the midpoint Ortiz avoided the chance of arbitrators ruling in favor of the Red Sox to give him only a very small raise from 2011. Instead he gets a $2.075 million bump after hitting .309 with 29 homers and his highest OPS since 2007.

1. crispybasil - Feb 17, 2012 at 10:21 AM

“even if it is for one or two million less” Siiiigh

2. stex52 - Feb 17, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Like, there’s a reason not to be happy?

3. uyf1950 - Feb 17, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Wait till next off season when he’s looking for $16MM per and the Red Sox offer him $7MM or let him walk completely. We’ll see how happy he is then.

• belichickrulz - Feb 17, 2012 at 10:33 AM

That’s what they should have done THIS year.

4. belichickrulz - Feb 17, 2012 at 10:32 AM

He SHOULD be happy, since the idiots on Yawkey Way overpaid him by at least $8 million. They should have cut his fat a** and let him test the waters in free agency. It’s not like they couldn’t use that money for pitching or anything.

I thought the overspending for over-the-hill players would end when Epstein left. I guess Cherington is just Theo’s Mini-Me.

• Victor's Secret - Feb 17, 2012 at 12:49 PM

You understand that he hit .309/.398/.554 last year, yes? Probably one of the top 15 hitters in baseball? And we didn’t sign him to a multi-year contract? That’s a pretty fantastic deal.

Who would you prefer to play DH? Damon, Ibanez, Varitek, or Wakefield? I’m sure we could have gone cheaper, but I think the quality of hitting from that position might have dropped a wee bit.

• Victor's Secret - Feb 17, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Actually, I take that back. I hear Canseco’s still on the market. That totally would have been the right move.

• bigharold - Feb 17, 2012 at 1:54 PM

I completely understand that Ortiz had a great year last year but the truth is on the open market he wouldn’t get a eight figure contract, .. that’s just the nature of the DH slot in baseball today.

Sure he can hit but he’s useless in the field. He’s aging and one day soon he’s going to start the year slow, .. and stay that way. I think that the RS needed to sign him because he anchors the line up but even so they over paid him by at least 5 million.

5. deathmonkey41 - Feb 17, 2012 at 10:39 AM

He’s a big, fat, cheating drama queen. He should just shut up and be happy he’s getting paid that much for 3 or 4 AB’s a game.

• bobwsc - Feb 17, 2012 at 11:45 AM

are you as consistently hostile to the cheaters that play / have played on your team?

• deathmonkey41 - Feb 17, 2012 at 1:49 PM

I am to the ones that aren’t man enough to admit it (i,e- Roger Clemens).

6. daveydawg - Feb 18, 2012 at 8:05 AM

I hate this team, starting with him

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4602)