Feb 17, 2012, 4:26 PM EDT
For every 10,000 or so players who arrive at spring training amid reports that they’re in the best shape of their life there’s someone for whom the opposite is true.
Today that someone is new Yankees right-hander Michael Pineda, according to Bryan Hoch of MLB.com:
#Yankees RHP Michael Pineda said he reported to camp around 280 lbs. and needs to lose 10 lbs. this spring.
— Bryan Hoch (@BryanHoch) February 17, 2012
Last season Pineda was listed at 6-foot-7 and 260 pounds, so walking into camp in mid-February at 280 isn’t such a big deal, but it’s refreshing to read something that suggests not every single baseball player got into great shape during the offseason.
Incidentally, the one-two punch of CC Sabathia and Pineda has to be the largest duo in baseball, right?
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 16
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 32
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)