Feb 17, 2012, 4:26 PM EDT
For every 10,000 or so players who arrive at spring training amid reports that they’re in the best shape of their life there’s someone for whom the opposite is true.
Today that someone is new Yankees right-hander Michael Pineda, according to Bryan Hoch of MLB.com:
#Yankees RHP Michael Pineda said he reported to camp around 280 lbs. and needs to lose 10 lbs. this spring.
— Bryan Hoch (@BryanHoch) February 17, 2012
Last season Pineda was listed at 6-foot-7 and 260 pounds, so walking into camp in mid-February at 280 isn’t such a big deal, but it’s refreshing to read something that suggests not every single baseball player got into great shape during the offseason.
Incidentally, the one-two punch of CC Sabathia and Pineda has to be the largest duo in baseball, right?
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 14
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47
- Baseball is dying, you guys (149)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Watch Derek Jeter tell Joe Buck to get the heck out of the clubhouse (91)
- Adam Wainwright follows the rules and pays the price (90)
- The Astros did not sign number one overall pick Brady Aiken. This is a big deal. (90)