Feb 17, 2012, 4:26 PM EDT
For every 10,000 or so players who arrive at spring training amid reports that they’re in the best shape of their life there’s someone for whom the opposite is true.
Today that someone is new Yankees right-hander Michael Pineda, according to Bryan Hoch of MLB.com:
#Yankees RHP Michael Pineda said he reported to camp around 280 lbs. and needs to lose 10 lbs. this spring.
— Bryan Hoch (@BryanHoch) February 17, 2012
Last season Pineda was listed at 6-foot-7 and 260 pounds, so walking into camp in mid-February at 280 isn’t such a big deal, but it’s refreshing to read something that suggests not every single baseball player got into great shape during the offseason.
Incidentally, the one-two punch of CC Sabathia and Pineda has to be the largest duo in baseball, right?
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 1
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 36
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 118
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (118)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)