Feb 17, 2012, 4:26 PM EDT
For every 10,000 or so players who arrive at spring training amid reports that they’re in the best shape of their life there’s someone for whom the opposite is true.
Today that someone is new Yankees right-hander Michael Pineda, according to Bryan Hoch of MLB.com:
#Yankees RHP Michael Pineda said he reported to camp around 280 lbs. and needs to lose 10 lbs. this spring.
— Bryan Hoch (@BryanHoch) February 17, 2012
Last season Pineda was listed at 6-foot-7 and 260 pounds, so walking into camp in mid-February at 280 isn’t such a big deal, but it’s refreshing to read something that suggests not every single baseball player got into great shape during the offseason.
Incidentally, the one-two punch of CC Sabathia and Pineda has to be the largest duo in baseball, right?
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 20
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)