Feb 17, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Reports vary about the exact details of the Padres’ new television contract, but everyone seems to agree that it’ll be a massive deal and Jay Posner of the San Diego Union Tribune says the team’s new home, FOX Sports San Diego, will launch in early March.
Nothing is official yet, in part because MLB must approve the contract and FOX Sports San Diego is still working on getting clearance with the various cable and satellite providers, but Posner notes that the Padres are scheduled to broadcast a spring training game on March 17.
Bob Nightengale of USA Today reported recently the Padres’ contract with FOX Sports San Diego could be worth as much as $1.5 billion over 20 seasons, which is pretty impressive for a team in the 26th-largest market. However, because the deal is expected to start out with a relatively low annual figure and ramp up significantly in later years the immediate impact on the Padres’ payroll is unclear.
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 26
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)