Feb 17, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Reports vary about the exact details of the Padres’ new television contract, but everyone seems to agree that it’ll be a massive deal and Jay Posner of the San Diego Union Tribune says the team’s new home, FOX Sports San Diego, will launch in early March.
Nothing is official yet, in part because MLB must approve the contract and FOX Sports San Diego is still working on getting clearance with the various cable and satellite providers, but Posner notes that the Padres are scheduled to broadcast a spring training game on March 17.
Bob Nightengale of USA Today reported recently the Padres’ contract with FOX Sports San Diego could be worth as much as $1.5 billion over 20 seasons, which is pretty impressive for a team in the 26th-largest market. However, because the deal is expected to start out with a relatively low annual figure and ramp up significantly in later years the immediate impact on the Padres’ payroll is unclear.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)