Feb 17, 2012, 10:31 AM EST
Roberto Hernandez — the real name of the man we know as Fausto Carmona — used a fake identity, got a nice bonus out of it and made it to the majors on the strength of his advancement at a certain, presumed age. But he wants kids in the Dominican Republic to know that it’s wrong to lie about one’s identity:
Roberto Hernandez Heredia, the pitcher Indians fans knew as Fausto Carmona, is telling young baseball players in the Dominican Republic to tell the truth about their age and identity.
Hernandez has been visiting independent baseball camps on the island since Feb. 7. After he speaks, he hands out T-shirts to the players. On the front is printed this message in Spanish: “In Truth, There is Triumph.” Hernandez’s name is on the back with his number (55).
I hate to be so damn cynical about it, but the shirts might also read “in truth there is a much lower bonus and a ticket to being organizational depth.” Because, look, what Hernandez did was against the law and dishonest, but it also worked out way better for him than the truth would have. And it’s that inefficiency in the system which should be addressed.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)