Feb 17, 2012, 8:05 PM EST
The Yankees and Pirates have agreed to a deal that will send A.J. Burnett and cash considerations to the Pirates for Double-A reliever Diego Moreno and Low-A outfielder Exicardo Cayones, but it turns out there was another team in the mix. A”mystery team,” if you will. And this one might surprise you.
ESPN’s Buster Olney reports that the Phillies were involved in talks for Burnett before a deal was finally reached with Pittsburgh. This probably never had a realistic chance of happening, as the Phillies would have had to find a home for Joe Blanton (likely paying part of his $8.5 million salary) in order to make a deal work. No takers, apparently.
I’d rather have Burnett than Blanton at this point, but adding another $8 million to the payroll for 2013 (like the Pirates will do) when the Phillies already have approximately $108 million committed might not have been the best idea for a team who is hoping to work out an extension with Cole Hamels. They need all the flexibility they can get.
The big takeaway here is that the Phillies are looking to trade Blanton and currently seek an upgrade for their rotation. Blanton was limited to just 41 1/3 innings last season due to an elbow injury, so it’s unlikely they’ll be able to unload him unless he can prove healthy and effective during spring training. Of course, Roy Oswalt will probably sign somewhere by then, so it’s unclear where an upgrade would come from. But Ruben Amaro, Jr. has a habit of surprising us.
- Report: Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 21
- The Matt Kemp trade is expected to go down as planned 12
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 76
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 29
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 97
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)