Tony La Russa is going to hang out at Tigers camp this spring

Feb 17, 2012, 9:05 AM EDT

2011 World Series Game 4 -Texas Rangers v St Louis Cardinals Getty Images

Tony La Russa doesn’t have a whole heck of a lot to do this spring, what with retiring and all.  But he’s good buddies with Jim Leyland — La Russa hired Leyland for the White Sox’ staff back in the early 80s when Leyland was a Tigers’ minor league manager — so Jimmy is doing him a solid:

La Russa, the longtime manager who retired after leading St. Louis to another World Series title last fall, will spend this Spring Training in camp with the Tigers in a non-uniform, non-official capacity. Leyland made the announcement while talking with reporters on Thursday after arriving at Joker Marchant Stadium.

Of course the way the Tigers seem to be heading these days, it’s possible that La Russa ends up as their starting shortstop.  Leyland will say something about how, sure, his defense may not be up to snuff, but he brings so many other things to the game that it’s worth the tradeoff.

1. yankeesfanlen - Feb 17, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Hope Leyland doesn’t take Verlnder out in the third inning on a double-switch.

• proudlycanadian - Feb 17, 2012 at 9:31 AM

The NL can be a bit kinky with all those switches.

2. stex52 - Feb 17, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Here’s a thought. I understand that baseball is really a lot of fun to be around. And I like my job. But when I retire, I’m not going to hang out around work with the guys. Tony needs to go collect stamps or build a Habitat for Humanity house or climb Mt. Kilimanjaro or something. Just don’t stay home all day. The wife will go crazy.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 17, 2012 at 12:52 PM

I think it would be fun to go to camp with all the fun and no stress, and to hang out with an old buddy and enjoy a new MLB season. This is exactly what I’d do with my Springs.

• stex52 - Feb 17, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Point taken, at least from our perspective. In his case I might have seen enough. But heck, who am I to say?

3. Walk - Feb 17, 2012 at 9:51 AM

I sorta want to make a joke about parties with miguel cabrera and tlr but im pretty sure i would get thumbed down a bazillion times and assaulted with what if this was a story about josh hamilton. So i had to think about it. Yep i would say same thing. Tigers camp is gonna be the place to be for after game celebrations so remember what happens in the cactus and grapefruit leagues stays in the league. And maybe after a doctor’s visit under an assumed name.

• detroitr1 - Feb 17, 2012 at 10:04 AM

So he has a little Jameson to go with his AL batting title…

• dnc6 - Feb 17, 2012 at 11:32 AM

It’s not about having a drink after the game. It’s about getting absolutely blitzed and getting behind the wheel. The former is acceptable, the latter takes a pretty high level of vileness and scumbaggery.

4. craigsimsrules - Feb 17, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Larusso is friends with all the a-hole coaches/managers in sports. I mean look at the list: Parcells, Knight, and Leyland. It seems like birds of the same feather flock together

• mgflolox - Feb 18, 2012 at 3:35 AM

Yeah, those guys might not be the first people you want to have at Thanksgiving Dinner, but you know what, they were hired to make their teams WIN. And they were among the best at doing that. I would be thrilled if one of those men were hired to manage/coach one of my favorite teams. They build winners, period-end.

5. unlost1 - Feb 17, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Jhonny Peralta is already in the doghouse for sure

6. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 17, 2012 at 12:48 PM

“What’s up, guys? Remember how we beat you 4-1 in the 2006 World Series? Yeah, that was great. Dombrowski – my man – how the hell are ya?”

7. hgfrombc2 - Feb 17, 2012 at 6:23 PM

We? What position did YOU play?

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet