Wanna buy a house from a ballplayer?

Feb 17, 2012, 8:20 AM EDT

200310310-001

In honor of the beginning of spring training, Realtor.com has assembled a page of listings of homes of several former and current ballplayers.  The players: Adrian Beltre, Pat Burrell, Matt Cain, Barry Larkin, Derek Lowe, Jack McDowell, Jamie Moyer, John Smoltzwhose home we’ve featured previously — and Jonathan Papelbon.  There are links to several more pictures of each house at the bottom of the page.

Takeaways:

• Moyer’s is a tudor-style mansion. It is not, as is commonly believed, an actual tudor-era home, built under his personal supervision in the year 1587, though it could be. Because Jamie Moyer is old. Get it? He’s old! Hahaha! Ah, ahem. Sorry.
  • Pat Burrell’s house in Scottsdale is exactly as I would have expected for a guy with his swingin’ single reputation. I believe he purchased it from Austin Powers.
  • I was disappointed to read on Jonathan Papelbon’s Wikipedia page that he has two children, because I was hoping that the kid-friendly design of his home was all for him. Like he was Ricky Schroeder in “Silver Spoons” or something.

Overall: ballplayers in general have a lot of damn money and spend it on pretty fabulous real estate and because I have something of a real estate fetish I wish I was rich like baseball players are sometimes. There, I said it.

1. umrguy42 - Feb 17, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Is that a custom rug next to the crib in Papelbon’s house? (Yes, the crib in his “crib”.)

Also, am I crazy, or does the stuff in and around the fireplace in that interior picture of Moyer’s house look fake (like photoshopped/paint or something)?

And about halfway through, I started reading these in Robin Leach’s voice…

2. phillyphreak - Feb 17, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Buying seems kinda out of my price range. Maybe I could just become a squatter in one.

Also, I dig the basketball hoop on Moyer’s garage.

3. Walk - Feb 17, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Well, anyone else look around and let out a big sigh after looking at those homes? I really liked burrels. I thought cain’s was way worse than rest then i saw the inside. Very beautiful homes, i think i would have trouble living in them not that i could afford one, even if i did buy one it would trouble me just watching a home so well made age. Maybe moyer could offer me some pointers.

4. detroitcityryda - Feb 17, 2012 at 11:32 AM

I’ll just wait till aj burnett gets traded so I can buy his manhattan condo at reduced price .

5. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 17, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Call me a full-of-it minimalist, but I’d get lost in homes this big. I think there comes a time where a home stops feeling warm and fuzzy, and starts feeling like a masoleum. I’m happy with my two-flat a mile west of Wrigley.

6. hank10 - Feb 17, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Looking at that double staircase in Beltre’s home, I can envision Jed, Granny and Ellie May coming down to greet Mr. Drysdale.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet