Feb 17, 2012, 8:20 AM EDT
In honor of the beginning of spring training, Realtor.com has assembled a page of listings of homes of several former and current ballplayers. The players: Adrian Beltre, Pat Burrell, Matt Cain, Barry Larkin, Derek Lowe, Jack McDowell, Jamie Moyer, John Smoltz — whose home we’ve featured previously — and Jonathan Papelbon. There are links to several more pictures of each house at the bottom of the page.
- Moyer’s is a tudor-style mansion. It is not, as is commonly believed, an actual tudor-era home, built under his personal supervision in the year 1587, though it could be. Because Jamie Moyer is old. Get it? He’s old! Hahaha! Ah, ahem. Sorry.
- Pat Burrell’s house in Scottsdale is exactly as I would have expected for a guy with his swingin’ single reputation. I believe he purchased it from Austin Powers.
- I was disappointed to read on Jonathan Papelbon’s Wikipedia page that he has two children, because I was hoping that the kid-friendly design of his home was all for him. Like he was Ricky Schroeder in “Silver Spoons” or something.
Overall: ballplayers in general have a lot of damn money and spend it on pretty fabulous real estate and because I have something of a real estate fetish I wish I was rich like baseball players are sometimes. There, I said it.
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 26
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 43
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)