Yankees and Pirates “in agreement” on A.J. Burnett trade

Feb 17, 2012, 5:17 PM EDT

A.J. Burnett Reuters

It looks like the A.J. Burnett saga may finally be coming to a close, as Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Yankees and Pirates are “in agreement” on a deal that will send the right-hander to Pittsburgh.

Burnett is expected to undergo a physical exam Sunday to make things official and according to Rosenthal the Yankees are eating about $20 million of the $33 million remaining on his contract over the next two seasons.

In return New York will receive a pair of minor leaguers, neither of whom are expected to be significant prospects, but by trading Burnett the Yankees save $13 million and open up a rotation spot for Freddy Garcia or Phil Hughes.

Burnett, who signed a five-year, $82.5 million contract with New York in 2009, had a 4.79 ERA in 98 starts for the Yankees after posting a 3.73 ERA in 131 starts for the Marlins and a 3.94 ERA in 80 starts for the Blue Jays.

UPDATE: Bryan Hoch of MLB.com reports that the two prospects going to the Yankees are 25-year-old reliever Diego Moreno and 20-year-old outfielder Exicardo Cayones, neither of whom are considered more than marginal prospects.

1. seahawks80 - Feb 17, 2012 at 4:24 PM

AJ is 34-35 with the Yankees, how is he going to even close to that with half of the run support of the Pirates?

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 17, 2012 at 5:12 PM

A much easier division, and a league without a DH.

• Walk - Feb 17, 2012 at 5:37 PM

As mentioned above a flyball pitcher moving to a normal sized park. The change in leagues will drop his era. The division will drop it more. Then the pirates offense will make him wish he had pinstripes on most nights.

2. joey15215 - Feb 17, 2012 at 5:34 PM

I mentioned the ERA factor in another article/thread on this site and some people completely mocked the notion. I basically stated that Burnett can not win that many games in Pittsburgh because of poor run support. His ERA might go down slightly due to going to a weaker division, but I don’t see him winning more than 12 games. I would rather see the Pirates use the 13 million they are on the hook for on a younger player.

Someone referenced the fact that the Pirates could very well turn around and trade Burnett going towards the post-season. The shame is that this very possible and I feel that this trade somewhat compares to the Derek Bell-type signings the organization made throughout these losing years.

The other major shame is that the Pirates got a new ball park along with the Steelers getting a new stadium. But the Penguins, who had won two recent championships, got shafted with the same crumbling facility. The even greater shame is that people within Pittsburgh city limits are paying for the Pirates ball park in heavy taxes.

• rave7215 - Feb 17, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Being from Pittsburgh, PNC Park (Despite a losing team) is still worth it. It is absolutely beautiful.

And you know there’s this place the Penguins play now, It’s called the Consol Energy Center. Voted one of the best facilities in all of sports. I think they are alright with how things turned out (Also a fantastic arena to watch a game from).

The travesty of it all is that the cities most popular team, the Steelers, have the worst facility of them all. That’s my opinion though, I hate Heinz Field.

• joey15215 - Feb 17, 2012 at 6:41 PM

I wouldn’t argue with you as for Heinz Field. My point was exactly what you mentioned, which is that the Pirates seem to not deserve the ball park they got. I’m from Pittsburgh and have been to numerous games in the new park, which doesn’t have a bad seat in the house. I find the fact that the organization can’t put together at least one .500 team as shameful. I haven’t had a chance to see a game at the new rink for the Pens, as I’ve been away from the city for work.

3. uyf1950 - Feb 17, 2012 at 5:40 PM

I wonder what’s next for Cashman? Since there obviously was some conversations with the Angels while all of this was going on I wonder if Cashman will try and work some kind of deal for Abreau with the Angels absorbing some of his $9MM salary to move him.
    OR
    Does he just go the route most have been speculating about sign Chavez and a DH (Ibanez or Damon).

Now that Burnett is gone we should find out what’s next pretty soon.

4. Walk - Feb 17, 2012 at 5:58 PM

This might surprise a few of you it seems. New york is not even the capital of well new york for instance.

5. farvite - Feb 17, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Watch out for flying pigs.

6. kcredneck - Feb 17, 2012 at 6:28 PM

does this mean we can’t see balls bouncing over home plate anymore? i’m sure going to miss that!

7. 24missed - Feb 17, 2012 at 7:51 PM

A moment of silence for the Red Sox fans.

Okay. This is addition by subtraction. You might as well throw Verlander in to pitch for the Yanks to really make us miserable. With Burnett gone, your circus is out of town. Now, we actually have to look at our own. Literally. Lackey was spotted at Spring Training. Ugh.

To top it off, Tim Wakefield retires today. My favorite RS player, ever.

On a positive note, this huge dog jumped on top of me today and made me smile. Gotta count the blessings.

8. craigsimsrules - Feb 18, 2012 at 7:14 AM

This will be a great trade for the pirates next season. As everyone knows, Burnett only pitches at contract time. Im sure he will be injured often this year and then miraculously next season (contract season) he will not be injured and will pitch to what his talent says he should pitch. I’ve never seen a guy with the stuff that Burnett has and not be able to put any of it together. It should tell Burnett something that the Yankees were paying him to pitch for another team. I hope this clown can finally put it together in a year other than his contract season

9. AlohaMrHand - Feb 19, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Already know what will happen.Burnett will have a resurection and be 11-2 with a 2.00 ERA by July,The Pirates of course will be 20 games out of first place and he will be traded to a contender for 3 “prospects” and a bag of resin.Because that’s the Pirate way.

Three legends off to Cooperstown