Feb 17, 2012, 5:17 PM EDT
It looks like the A.J. Burnett saga may finally be coming to a close, as Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Yankees and Pirates are “in agreement” on a deal that will send the right-hander to Pittsburgh.
Burnett is expected to undergo a physical exam Sunday to make things official and according to Rosenthal the Yankees are eating about $20 million of the $33 million remaining on his contract over the next two seasons.
In return New York will receive a pair of minor leaguers, neither of whom are expected to be significant prospects, but by trading Burnett the Yankees save $13 million and open up a rotation spot for Freddy Garcia or Phil Hughes.
Burnett, who signed a five-year, $82.5 million contract with New York in 2009, had a 4.79 ERA in 98 starts for the Yankees after posting a 3.73 ERA in 131 starts for the Marlins and a 3.94 ERA in 80 starts for the Blue Jays.
UPDATE: Bryan Hoch of MLB.com reports that the two prospects going to the Yankees are 25-year-old reliever Diego Moreno and 20-year-old outfielder Exicardo Cayones, neither of whom are considered more than marginal prospects.
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 60
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 35
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 38
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 9
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The Royals asked a fan in Marlins gear to change his shirt last night. He refused. (86)