Yankees and Pirates “in agreement” on A.J. Burnett trade

Feb 17, 2012, 5:17 PM EDT

A.J. Burnett Reuters

It looks like the A.J. Burnett saga may finally be coming to a close, as Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Yankees and Pirates are “in agreement” on a deal that will send the right-hander to Pittsburgh.

Burnett is expected to undergo a physical exam Sunday to make things official and according to Rosenthal the Yankees are eating about $20 million of the $33 million remaining on his contract over the next two seasons.

In return New York will receive a pair of minor leaguers, neither of whom are expected to be significant prospects, but by trading Burnett the Yankees save $13 million and open up a rotation spot for Freddy Garcia or Phil Hughes.

Burnett, who signed a five-year, $82.5 million contract with New York in 2009, had a 4.79 ERA in 98 starts for the Yankees after posting a 3.73 ERA in 131 starts for the Marlins and a 3.94 ERA in 80 starts for the Blue Jays.

UPDATE: Bryan Hoch of MLB.com reports that the two prospects going to the Yankees are 25-year-old reliever Diego Moreno and 20-year-old outfielder Exicardo Cayones, neither of whom are considered more than marginal prospects.

1. joshftw - Feb 17, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Our long national nightmare is finally over!

• proudlycanadian - Feb 17, 2012 at 1:24 PM

National? Is NY still the center of the baseball world?

• yankeesfanlen - Feb 17, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Yes. Yes it is.

• illbringdabeers - Feb 17, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Yep

• humanexcrement - Feb 17, 2012 at 1:50 PM

New York is the capital of THE world. As far as baseball goes, admit it–you wish your team WAS the Yankees. Whether you’re a Cubs fan, a Marlins fan, a Mariners fan, a Padres fan, an Indians fan, whatever, you wish your team had the history of Hall of Famers and Championships that the Yankees do. Admit it. You’d give anything to make the Orioles or the Red Sox or the Mets or the Rangers into baseball’s most historic team.

• kopy - Feb 17, 2012 at 2:01 PM

No thanks. I’m a Twins fan that’s been pretty happy with almost all of their seasons over the past decade. This is a stark contrast to being a Yankees fan, where all but 27 seasons of their entire existence have been a failure. Higher expectations are stressful, harder to satisfy, and less thrilling when fulfilled.

• humanexcrement - Feb 17, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Okay. Be happy with your fourth-place team. Actually, it’s not a failure to anyone not named Steinbrenner when the Yankees don’t win. Those of us who remember the 80s grew up with a team that was basically AAA plus Don Mattingly. You know what my favorite Yankee team was in my lifetime? 2001, the year of Rivera’s blown save in the bottom of the 9th in Arizona. I followed damn near every game that year, and to this day I still consider it a success. The Twins are lucky they even exist. Please.

• humanexcrement - Feb 17, 2012 at 2:13 PM

And yeah, all BUT those 27 seasons. What a failure. That’s like saying your life sucked, apart from those 27 good years. The rest was crap, when I was only the runner-up. What a failure.

• yankeesfanlen - Feb 17, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Human- AAAAARRRRRRRRRRGH! 2001 was the worst disappointment in my young life! Still haven’t forgiven Mo.

• baseballisboring - Feb 17, 2012 at 2:22 PM

If I were a Yankees fan I would kill myself on principle.

• humanexcrement - Feb 17, 2012 at 2:29 PM

If you were a Yankee fan I’d kill myself on principle.

• kopy - Feb 17, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Well, I’m glad you can still find happiness in a Yankees season that doesn’t end in a World Series. Most of the ones I know don’t see it that way, and it’s pretty frustrating.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 17, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Can you guys stop being douches to each other now? And to think I come on here every weekday to read wit in these threads. Tsk tsk, gentlemen.

• surefooted1 - Feb 17, 2012 at 3:26 PM

There have been 107 World Series.

The New York Yankees have played in 40 of them (37%).

They have won 27 of them (25%).

The next closest team has played in 18 (17%) and won 11 (<1%) (The Cardinals).

I'd kinda say yea…New York is the center of the baseball world.

• baseballisboring - Feb 17, 2012 at 4:01 PM

No…no they’re not. Cause no one outside of NY gives a flying fuck.

• jimbo1949 - Feb 17, 2012 at 10:30 PM

“The next closest team has played in 18 (17%) and won 11 (<1%) (The Cardinals)."

change (<1%) to (10%), and your welcome.

• cur68 - Feb 17, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Actually it is “<10%", Jimbo (note the "less-than" symbol), but well spotted nonetheless…I think you're supposed to throw in a "sic" when you quote someone's error, too, but I think not rubbing it in is commendable, so another nod to you.

• cur68 - Feb 17, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Arg *facepalm*. My symbol is the wrong way around. Its supposed to be greater than. Very likely, Jimbo, you’re the only one who knows what their doing on this whole thread.

• pjmarn6 - Feb 20, 2012 at 3:46 AM

How do I cash in on some of these free millions?

2. baseballisboring - Feb 17, 2012 at 1:19 PM

When these rumors first started up, I was wondering what the Pirates were doing, but the more I think about it it kind of makes sense. Burnett predictably hasn’t lived up to his contract, but he’s not useless. He still strikes guys out, and is moving into a much weaker division and a better pitcher’s park. It wouldn’t surprise me to see him put together an ERA in the high 3′s with some strikeouts in Pittsburgh this year, and for them to be able to flip him for at least something better than whatever they’re giving up.

• florida76 - Feb 17, 2012 at 2:21 PM

The Pirates may be buyers again at the trading deadline, so we don’t want to generalize about might happen based on pre 2011 events. Agree about moving into a weaker division now minus Pujols and Fielder, and some players just need a fresh start. Bucs have a terrific pitching coach in Ray Searage who has done wonders in his short time in Pittsburgh. Certainly not a stretch to see Burnett rebound, and have a solid season.

3. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 17, 2012 at 1:19 PM

I hope the Pirates have a “No stupid hair” clause in the trade agreement.

4. yankeesfanlen - Feb 17, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Small correction needed on that last line, Aaron. He severed up almost twice as many homers AGAINST the Yankees. Particularly in the fifth and sixth innings.

• rooney24 - Feb 17, 2012 at 1:53 PM

I don’t think that word means what you think it means…..

“for the Yankees” means while playing for the Yankees, not that the home runs were for the Yankees. Yes, the HRs were hit against the Yankees, as the pitched for the Yankees, but your context is incorrect.

• yankeesfanlen - Feb 17, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Every HR allowed by AJ was a decrease in run differential. Besides, half my job here is to take things out of context so we can argue about CAKE and pie.

• cur68 - Feb 17, 2012 at 3:09 PM

There is no argument: it is cake. All else is food for the weak minded.

• jimbo1949 - Feb 17, 2012 at 3:31 PM

no more of AJ’s cool whip pies, or McCarver speculating that AJ cut his hand on the pie tin.

5. randygnyc - Feb 17, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Finally! Here’s a pie AJ——splattt

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 17, 2012 at 3:12 PM

AJ stars in Marx Bros movies now?

• jimbo1949 - Feb 17, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Nah, Three Stooges threw pies.

6. uyf1950 - Feb 17, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Well tonight tonight let it be Lowenbrau.

7. uyf1950 - Feb 17, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Well tonight tonight let it be Lowenbrau!

8. steelerfanforlife - Feb 17, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Yankeesfanlen:
    That comment was great!!
    Hey heres hoping AJ can help make an impact for the Pirates!!

• Francisco (FC) - Feb 17, 2012 at 2:11 PM

As long as he doesn’t crater… the Pirates don’t need THAT kind of impact.

9. uyf1950 - Feb 17, 2012 at 1:38 PM

…and the scourge of the Yankees has finally been traded.

10. Ari Collins - Feb 17, 2012 at 1:42 PM

If the Yankees get off the hook for $6.5MM, and then pay Chavez and Ibanez $3MM, that leaves them at about $203MM or $204MM in payroll, with about $15MM more paid in luxury tax.

11. uyf1950 - Feb 17, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Finally.

12. uyf1950 - Feb 17, 2012 at 1:52 PM

It’s about time.

13. Ari Collins - Feb 17, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Word is one of the prospects is Diego Moreno, a minor relief prospect. If the Pirates don’t give up any real prospects, it’ll be a good deal for them, in my opinion.

• Ari Collins - Feb 17, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Outfielder Exicardo Cayones is the other guy, also a quite minor prospect. But with a really cool name.

14. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Feb 17, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Funny question that is actually kind of serious: Is AJ the Pirates opening day starter?

I suppose they could go with Bedard, but he hasn’t pitched into the 6th inning in a few years.

Maybe Morton or Karstens as the incumbents? I don’t really know if any of them are better than AJ.

I feel bad for PGH fans. ;-)

• jwbiii - Feb 17, 2012 at 2:15 PM

I’d go with James McDonald.

15. scatterbrian - Feb 17, 2012 at 1:58 PM

That picture reminds me of a cross between Malfoy and that bully skateboarder kid from Bad Santa

16. uyf1950 - Feb 17, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Not sure what the issue is but none of my posts the last few minutes have shown up here.

17. stairwayto7 - Feb 17, 2012 at 2:17 PM

A.J.will get 12-14 wins easily with Hanarahn closing andlead the Bucs to a winning season and finishing 2nd behind the reds..

• Ari Collins - Feb 17, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Burnett adds a couple wins at best. Hard to see them improving by 10 wins over last year’s squad to have a winning year, let alone finishing above the Brewers AND the Cards.

But hey, the pre-season is all about hope.

• seahawks80 - Feb 17, 2012 at 2:58 PM

How is he going to get 12-14 wins with 1-3 runs of support? Why does Pittsburgh even have a closer?

18. yankeesgameday - Feb 17, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Guys AJ is NOT that bad. He ran into some problems, sure, but he will do better than people remember I the NL central and will wind up being traded to an NL contender by the end of the year and probably helps someone out with a pennant run.

The rumors if his death are greatly exaggerated.

19. ultimateyankeefan1950 - Feb 17, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Let’s see if this works.

20. buffalomafia - Feb 17, 2012 at 2:32 PM

I wish the Pirates would spend money on what they really need!

I would like to see the Pirates get into playoffs!

• seahawks80 - Feb 17, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Playoffs? Your talking about Playoffs!!!!??? Now thats funny.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 17, 2012 at 3:17 PM

If you’re going to be a snarky jackass, at least say “you’re” instead of “your.” Read a book.

21. tashkalucy - Feb 17, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Is it possible to drag this out for another week or two?

MLB fans the world over are fascinated over this possibility!

22. phillyfan4ever - Feb 17, 2012 at 2:47 PM

*3.73 ERA in 131 starts for the Marlins*

You mean the Blue Jays?

• buddaley - Feb 17, 2012 at 3:09 PM

No, for the Marlins. He started his career there and pitched there for 7 seasons (131 starts), partial and full. He was in Toronto for only 3 years and 80 starts.

23. uyf1950 - Feb 17, 2012 at 2:56 PM

None of my comments from this afternoon seem to be showing. Trying once again.

24. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 17, 2012 at 3:20 PM

He may be bummed to be dealt to a losing team, but he’ll be going from the toughest division to the weakest, and he’ll be THE guy on that staff. I say he resurrects a bit there.

And frankly, regardless of any other factors, I think it’s cool that he insists on staying local for the sake of his wife.

25. heyzeus143 - Feb 17, 2012 at 3:21 PM

those prospects will become all-stars, it’s a bucco thing

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet