Astros remove gun from Colt .45s throwback uniforms

Feb 18, 2012, 8:58 AM EST

Image (1) Colt%20.45s%20logo.gif for post 4997

The Astros are celebrating their 50th anniversary this season, so they plan to honor their past by wearing a different throwback uniform at every Friday home game. The first “Flashback Friday” will feature the Colt .45s, which was the name of the franchise for the first three years of its existence.

Sweet. Those were some pretty awesome uniforms. The only problem is, MLB nixed including the gun in the logo.

According to Paul Lukas of the Uni Watch blog, Astros fan James Crabtree wrote a letter to commissioner Bud Selig about the issue and this is the response he got from Mike Acosta, the Astros’ authentication manager:

“During our discussion with Major League Baseball, it was expressed to us that we could wear the uniform as long as the pistol was removed. We realize this changes the original design, but we still want to honor the Colt .45s. We are also under an obligation to follow Major League Baseball’s requests.”

Oof. The weird thing about this is that when the Astros originally announced plans for “Flashback Friday” last September, they had the old Colt .45s uni featured front and center. Apparently something changed over the past few months.

There was some discussion about whether the Colt .45s was appropriate back when new Astros owner Jim Crane mentioned that they had considered changing the team’s name. The world is a very different place now than it was when the franchise debuted in 1962, so obviously the same name and logo wouldn’t work today, but completely altering the design for one game is a bit overboard.

113 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. stex52 - Feb 18, 2012 at 8:30 PM

I’m not too interested in all of this Fox News stuff. But I do think it is pretty idiotic to take a gun out of the reference to the Colt 45’s. What does Selig have against the Astros lately?

And I will thank you people to show a little more courtesy to my state. I want you to note that the worst thing I have called anyone so far in this site is “provinicial.” And any generalizations about the second most populous state in the country are going to be – by definition – wrong.

There is a certain association with a cultural image that everyone likes to jump on. But don’t jump on it so much. It’s a convenient construct for thinking of people with, not much more.

• Old Gator - Feb 18, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Condemning the Astros to an eternity of designatedhitterball is a far worse offense than disfiguring their old uniforms. I don’t know what he has against them, but his bias is clear and ugly.

2. jwbiii - Feb 18, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Maybe the Astros should honor an old Texas League team:

3. mrznyc - Feb 19, 2012 at 9:06 AM

So exactly what will the “Colt 45s” on the redesigned uniform be referring to?

4. deathmonkey41 - Feb 19, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Beyond guns, this is just as stupid as them removing the cigar from the Tampa Bay Smokers unis.

5. koufaxmitzvah - Feb 19, 2012 at 10:40 AM

For the record, my own personal opinion is that the uniforms should remain the way they were. Otherwise, they should avoid the promotion altogether.

However, with all this chatter about Hitler and Ghandi and the 2nd Amendment:

WHATEVER. Bottom line for anti-gunners like me is that somebody does not have the “right” to purchase a weapon in order to shoot people dead. This apparently needs to be repeated over and over again on a baseball blog that has a plethora of gun toters who parrot the same, tired lines of how Obama is going to take your guns so that you are easy pickings for FEMA camps. Not quite. Gun legislation is so people, like a certain someone I know, DON’T BUY A GUN SPECIFICALLY TO SHOOT SOMEONE, LIKE A MOTHER, DAUGHTER, SISTER, FRIEND; OR A FATHER, SON, BROTHER, FRIEND.

How much is a life worth? $1 million? $10 million? It’s almost impossible to place a monetary value on a life, but bullets– well, those bullets cost $5 a round? $15? So when my stepfather, may he continuously burn in hell, bought a gun for less than $200 and 5 bullets for less than $75 AND USED THIS METHOD TO END MY MOTHER’S LIFE because, shit man, George Washington said it’s okay to do so. Some pro-gunners have the audacity to suggest that my mother was her own enemy by living in the same house as a crazy man. Somehow, though, that first date didn’t involve any discussions about how he was going to end up shooting my mother in the face five times while she was sitting in the kitchen trying to speak reasonably to him. So, apparently, this bares repeating:

GUN CONTROL IS SO OTHER PEOPLE DON’T HAVE TO HAVE THEIR LIVES ENDED BECUASE SOME SICK FUCK DECIDED THAT ENOUGH IS ENOUGH, AND THAT PERSON DOESN’T HAVE THE BALLS TO GO TO HAND-TO-HAND COMBAT, BUT RATHER PUSSIES OUT BY SHOOTING THE VICTIM FROM 5-15 YARDS AWAY.

So save the Hitler bullshit. If you really want a discussion, then listen. If you don’t, don’t. But if you don’t, stop acting like you do. Because reality has always been much larger than politics.

• ditto65 - Feb 19, 2012 at 12:28 PM

I am sorry for your loss.

But please do not tell me that I cannot use historical references to have a reasonable conversation about a heated topic.

You know this topic is very personal to you.
      You know this thread is dealing with both sides of this topic.
      You may want to skip over it from here on out if you don’t want to discuss it.

Again, I am sorry for your loss and any sad memories that this thread has revived. But, and I say this with as much compassion as I can muster, we can disagree and speak (or type) publically about a hot political topic that has real life implications in your life,

6. plumdandy6677 - Feb 20, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Eh, I say keep the gun on the uniform (if we are ignoring the lawsuit). It’s cool-looking and I bet most kids will not pay that much attention to the logo either way.

As for guns in general, if people want to play with guns in the woods or at ranges that’s cool. And for reasonable uses of self-defense at home, that’s fine too. But, don’t be so shocked that people express some worry about the proliferation of guns in America, especially with many states in recent years enacting concealed or open carry laws, including last year in my state of Wisconsin. You cannot deny that there are safety issues that at least should be raised and that it is reasonable for some people to be concerned. There is potential for accidents to happen and what if people engage in vigilantism. Okay, the last point may be a little crazy, but why not raise these questions when the issue of publically arming the citizens comes up

Beyond my concealed carry tangent, I sometimes get concerned that such proliferation of guns could have the effect of heavily arming nutty, anti-government groups who may some day actually use violence as they sometimes seem to suggest could happen.

At the end of the day, though, I am okay with responsible people who have clean criminal records and who do not show signs of espousing or committing violence to have guns. Is is asking too much to require a gun safety course (or session) or at least the demonstratation of good gun safety knowledge and habits, though?

As for concealed carry, I think it should be referendum issue that goes directly to the voters. In Wisconsin’s case, I believe it was passed through an act of state congress.

Am I right to think that even if it is against the law, people will still carry anyhow?

And it should be acknowledged that Obama hasn’t been on a crusade to take everyone’s guns away as many people predicted.

And finally, if you own guns, just be smart with them, please.

7. baddorange - Feb 20, 2012 at 6:42 PM

You stupid political correct morons. Of course, another reason that complete “south end of a north bound mule,” Selig should retire. He is such a wimpy, dumb clown. MLB sucks because of him and his stupidity.

8. yahmule - Feb 23, 2012 at 11:56 PM

I’m certain all gun shop owners vote democrat in every presidential election. Then they tell their customers Carter/Clinton/Obama is coming for their guns and sit back and count the money.

There are over 800 gun stores on the border between the US and Mexico. It’s called the Iron River. These store owners know damn well those weapons will be used against law enforcement officials and innocent citizens (on both sides of the border) and they couldn’t possibly care less.

But, hey! The second amendment.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4475)
  2. M. Kemp (3606)
  3. M. Cabrera (2860)
  4. M. Morse (2539)
  5. J. Kang (2415)
  1. J. Upton (2391)
  2. C. Headley (2143)
  3. A. Rios (2134)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (1891)
  5. J. Peavy (1808)