Feb 18, 2012, 10:28 AM EST
We learned yesterday that the Rangers were close to trading right-handed reliever Koji Uehara to the Athletics. Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle reported last night that the Rangers were also talking to another team, but indicated that progress on a deal could be made this weekend.
Trading Uehara would clear his $4 million salary from the Rangers’ payroll, but the motivation to move him isn’t yet clear. However, it appears there are three likely scenarios.
Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth-Star Telegram was told by one source yesterday afternoon that moving Uehara could free up the proper cash to make a run at free agent right-hander Roy Oswalt. Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com later speculated that the next logical move would be to bring back Mike Gonzalez, which actually makes more sense when you consider that the club is without an experienced left-hander in their bullpen at the moment. However, another source later told Wilson that any money saved in a Uehara deal would be used to help trim their payroll and not directed toward another player.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)