Feb 18, 2012, 10:28 AM EDT
We learned yesterday that the Rangers were close to trading right-handed reliever Koji Uehara to the Athletics. Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle reported last night that the Rangers were also talking to another team, but indicated that progress on a deal could be made this weekend.
Trading Uehara would clear his $4 million salary from the Rangers’ payroll, but the motivation to move him isn’t yet clear. However, it appears there are three likely scenarios.
Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth-Star Telegram was told by one source yesterday afternoon that moving Uehara could free up the proper cash to make a run at free agent right-hander Roy Oswalt. Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com later speculated that the next logical move would be to bring back Mike Gonzalez, which actually makes more sense when you consider that the club is without an experienced left-hander in their bullpen at the moment. However, another source later told Wilson that any money saved in a Uehara deal would be used to help trim their payroll and not directed toward another player.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 8
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 26
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 99
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (99)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)