Feb 18, 2012, 10:28 AM EST
We learned yesterday that the Rangers were close to trading right-handed reliever Koji Uehara to the Athletics. Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle reported last night that the Rangers were also talking to another team, but indicated that progress on a deal could be made this weekend.
Trading Uehara would clear his $4 million salary from the Rangers’ payroll, but the motivation to move him isn’t yet clear. However, it appears there are three likely scenarios.
Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth-Star Telegram was told by one source yesterday afternoon that moving Uehara could free up the proper cash to make a run at free agent right-hander Roy Oswalt. Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com later speculated that the next logical move would be to bring back Mike Gonzalez, which actually makes more sense when you consider that the club is without an experienced left-hander in their bullpen at the moment. However, another source later told Wilson that any money saved in a Uehara deal would be used to help trim their payroll and not directed toward another player.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 82
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)