Feb 19, 2012, 6:36 PM EST
Update: the teams have now confirmed the trade.
While neither team has officially announced the deal, the two hurdles involved in the trade sending A.J. Burnett to the Pirates and two prospects to the Yankees have now been cleared, according to CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman and ESPN’s Buster Olney.
Those two hurdles were Burnett’s physical, which he passed, and league approval of the deal because there was more than $1 million changing hands.
An announcement of the trade will probably come Monday. The Yankees are getting RHP Diego Moreno and outfielder Exicardo Cayones in return for Burnett and $20 million of the $33 million he’s owed over the next two years.
Burnett is set to pitch at or near the top of a Pirates rotation also set to include Jeff Karstens, James McDonald, Erik Bedard and Kevin Correia. The worst performer from the group will likely be shuffled off to the pen once Charlie Morton is ready to return from hip surgery.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 48
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)