Cashman: “I have a personal and professional life”

Feb 19, 2012, 5:19 PM EDT

cashman getty square Getty Images

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman addressed his alleged affair on Sunday in Yankees camp, likely in the hope that it won’t be a lingering topic of discussion throughout the team’s time in Tampa.

Via Andrew Marchand of ESPN New York:

“I have a professional and personal life,” Cashman told reporters on the day pitchers and catchers reported at Yankees spring training. “I will continue to do my job to the best of my abilities.”

Cashman’s issues at home are … well … issues at home.

Unless Yankees ownership finds evidence of his job performance being negatively affected by the mess (or the coverage of it), they’re going to stay the course and hope for quiet. It’s hard to imagine what that evidence would even look like.

1. Old Gator - Feb 19, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Harder to imagine why anyone with a life of their own to attend to would even give a damn about it.

2. uyf1950 - Feb 19, 2012 at 5:27 PM

“The whole thing is ugly and undoubtedly damaging to Cashman’s personal reputation, but the Yankees pay him to make baseball decisions and they have great reason to be satisfied with the job he has done.
    Cashman’s issues at home are … well … issues at home.”

WELL SAID.

3. proudlycanadian - Feb 19, 2012 at 5:40 PM

I doubt that his private life has been more convoluted or controversial than that of some of his players.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 20, 2012 at 1:11 PM

*coughAROD*cough*JETER*cough*CLEMENS*

4. bigleagues - Feb 19, 2012 at 6:01 PM

The only issue here is that Deadspin WAY overstepped its bounds by running the initial story. And were made to look like fools a few days later when the sting ops went down.

5. Kevin S. - Feb 19, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Hey, if Rick Pitino can survive a much uglier mistress shakedown while being directly responsible for 18-22 y.o. kids, I think Brian Cashman will be able to weather this professionally, too.

6. mightymike1250 - Feb 19, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Never trust a man who can’t be trusted by his wife.

• shadows in bloom - Feb 19, 2012 at 7:57 PM

he just had an affair cuz she accused him of being gay

7. randygnyc - Feb 19, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Bigleague- I read deadspin’s original article when it posted and if I remember correctly, the whole story broke the next day. Didn’t take long to show deadspin for the hacks that they are.

8. proudliberal85392 - Feb 19, 2012 at 8:43 PM

And this is important, because?

9. drewzducks - Feb 19, 2012 at 10:14 PM

I’d be more concerned about the way he’s undressing Suzyn Waldman with his eyes in this photo.

10. patsandsox - Feb 19, 2012 at 10:52 PM

He got rid of burnett give him a raise and a new ho

11. aceshigh11 - Feb 19, 2012 at 11:38 PM

He’s been a damned-good GM for over 10 years now. That’s all that Yankee fans should concern themselves with.

Affairs are hurtful and damaging, but they’re (usually) personal matters…I have enough to worry about in my own life without concerning myself with what some rich sports executive is up to.

• pisano - Feb 20, 2012 at 10:21 AM

aceshigh11…. You said it all in your post, I’m not concerned with who he’s screwing, and all is forgiven because he unloaded A.J. that’s worth it’s weight in gold. Cashman, you’re a prince!

12. Detroit Michael - Feb 20, 2012 at 10:20 AM

“I have a professional and personal life.” Left unsaid was that Cashman has multiple personal lives apparently.

13. stex52 - Feb 20, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Look around where you work, or on this thread if you like. Roughly 60% of married men are having or have had an affair. The number for women is better, but not that much. Do the math. Don’t cast the first stone.

Nothing to see here. Move along.

• Old Gator - Feb 20, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Forget it folks. It’s Chinatown.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3146)