Josh Beckett: no apology needed for “lapses in judgment”

Feb 19, 2012, 5:57 PM EDT

Josh Beckett AP

Get ready for some more beer and chicken talk…

While Josh Beckett admitted that “mistakes” were made in the clubhouse last season, he didn’t feel the need to apologize Sunday for his “lapses in judgment.”

Rightly or wrongly, Beckett has been treated as the worst offender or maybe the ringleader in all of the talk surrounding the members of the Red Sox rotation and their behavior in the clubhouse.

“I really can’t control that,” he said. “I’m sure that manifests itself somehow. I can’t control that. “For me, I can only speak for myself here, I think that we had — I had — lapses in judgment, and I can’t speak for everybody else.”

Asked to define the “lapses in judgment,” Beckett replied, “We made mistakes in the clubhouse. That’s about as far as I’ll go talking about the clubhouse.”

Beckett does expect a different atmosphere this year. He said he was distracted at times last year, though that it didn’t affect his preparation.

“I never missed a workout,” he said. “I was ready to pitch every time I pitched. I didn’t execute pitches in my last two starts. I put on a little bit of weight. I don’t have a reason for it, but it happened. I’m looking forward to going forward from here.”

1. uyf1950 - Feb 19, 2012 at 6:03 PM

How about apologizing for at the very least being partially responsible to some very good baseball people losing their jobs.

• brokea$$lovesmesomeme - Feb 20, 2012 at 12:02 AM

How about this, let me kick you right square in the stones as hard as I can, while you are on the ground I will profusely apologize. So your berries feel better? He does not need to apologize, they are not going to trade him, he’s not a position player so they are not going to drop him in the order or bench him.

2. uyf1950 - Feb 19, 2012 at 6:03 PM

How about apologizing for at the very least being partially responsible for some very good baseball people losing their jobs.

3. uyf1950 - Feb 19, 2012 at 6:04 PM

SORRY DON’T KNOW WHY THE DOUBLE POST. I ONLY HIT POST COMMENT ONCE.

• jimbo1949 - Feb 19, 2012 at 6:17 PM

looks like you tried to correct the 1st with the 2nd

• felineartist - Feb 21, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Let sleeping dogs lie, this happene last season, what are you (media) going to run this old stuff all spring! the media has a bad enough name, why degrade it further. Thanks for some more worthless drivel.

4. bigleagues - Feb 19, 2012 at 6:05 PM

He said EVERYTHING just short of apologizing.

Which is consistent with the pigheaded difficult self-centered personality that I have been aware of since he was at AA.

Still hoping that a trade is just over the horizon. And if it is, be ready for him to launch out at whoever it was he was referring to be angry with.

5. natsattack - Feb 19, 2012 at 6:30 PM

More beer and chicken talk?

6. rip4gehrig - Feb 19, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Being a Yankee fan I hope the Red Sox stay drunk all season

• shawnuel - Feb 19, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Yeah…that way they might not recognize Cashman when he is out on the town with his mistresses.

7. paperlions - Feb 19, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Why does he need to apologize publicly?

We have no way of knowing who he apologized to (if anyone) about what (if anything). The typical Boston fan/media lynch mob was more responsible for any lost jobs than anything else. Boston didn’t collapse because of beer and chicken; they collapsed because the rotation was decimated by injuries down the stretch and some of the guys that kept pitching were doing so hurt.

• Glenn - Feb 20, 2012 at 7:24 AM

If you look at Beckett’s September starts, one sees that they are not horrible. The beer and chicken thing had been going on for years and was never a big deal. After a mythic collapse, the story took off and became the lightening rod reason for the collapse. It was a strange year where the Red Sox were the worst team in baseball at the beginning and end, but the best in the middle.

Weird stuff happens sometimes. There is rarely one cause and sometimes it is random. Ever been involved in or had intimate knowledge of a story that takes off in the press? The truth, the story, and public opinion often have little to do with each other. And I am a Red Sox fan who, like most, was disgusted when the story came out and do think Beckett is arrogant.

8. shanabartels - Feb 19, 2012 at 7:31 PM

“I put on a little bit of weight. I don’t have a reason for it, but it happened.”

That’s quite a mystery. Beer and fried chicken obviously have zero calories, so that has nothing to do with it. No wonder the guy struggles to find an explanation.

9. dirtyharry1971 - Feb 19, 2012 at 7:58 PM

im hoping the blister problem comes back for josh this year

10. randygnyc - Feb 19, 2012 at 8:32 PM

A rod, and pettite both apologized to the organization and the fans. What bucket and his teammates did was worse. It directly lead to losing and people being fired. He needs to lead a public apology, with an explanation. You can’t just say, “case closed”.

11. brewcrewfan54 - Feb 19, 2012 at 9:15 PM

He’s an arrogant jabroni. Its no surprise he wouldn’t make a pubilc apology at the very least to please the fanbase that pays his enormous salary.

12. patsandsox - Feb 19, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Hes a good pitcher, and I think his attitude makes him the tough pitcher, but as a person hes a dbag.

• aceshigh11 - Feb 19, 2012 at 11:32 PM

It’s true that his Texas-sized ego and truculent personality make him a fearsome competitor…

…Roger Clemens IS his idol, after all…

…but that’s no excuse for being a prick. Every time I see an interview with him, I dislike him intensely, and this is coming from a diehard Sox fan. He’s done a lot of good things for the team over the years, but some class, tact, humility and graciousness wouldn’t kill him, and wouldn’t dampen his competitive edge.

• themightyquinn1 - Feb 20, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Like copying the interview pleasantries of Ted Williams, for instance?

• Old Gator - Feb 20, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Aces: if a Texas ego and truculent personality aren’t excuses for being a prick, what is? Cut the guy some slack.

13. pisano - Feb 20, 2012 at 12:22 AM

That jerk-off (Beckett) has always been an uppity hillbilly,” more beer and chicken please”

• pellypell - Feb 20, 2012 at 12:54 PM

“uppity hillbilly”

This makes my head hurt. Is this along the lines of “I can spit dip further than you” or “My families moonshine recipe is better than yours” ?

• Old Gator - Feb 20, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Or “my brother Bobby’s tits are bigger than your brother Billy’s?”

14. schaffershokai - Feb 20, 2012 at 8:43 AM

He better watch what he says otherwise they’re gonna stick him dong this: http://rat-mantheseries.com/episodes.html

15. jimeejohnson - Feb 20, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Beckett has been over rated since he had beginners luck in his rookie season. He’s a first class asshole in the Roger Clemens mode: a lying, phony, overweight clown. Other than that his taste in beer sucks.

16. bob1020 - Feb 21, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Beckett and Lester should do a “less filling, taste great” beer commercial!

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3132)