Phillies, Kyle Kendrick wipe out previous one-year deal with two-year, $7.5 million contract

Feb 19, 2012, 10:40 AM EDT

Kyle Kendrick throwing AP

Kyle Kendrick and the Phillies avoided arbitration by agreeing to a one-year, $3.585 million deal last month, but today the two sides signed a new two-year, $7.5 million contract that cancels out the previous deal.

Or, put another way, they tacked on an extra year and another $3.915 million to the previous agreement.

Either way, the Phillies clearly valued the cost certainty that comes with pre-paying for Kendrick’s arbitration years and once the two-year contract ends they’ll still have him under team control in 2014 via his final year of arbitration.

Kendrick’s career strikeout rate of 4.1 per nine innings is the fourth-worst of any active pitcher with at least 500 innings, but he threw 115 innings with a 3.22 ERA last season split between the rotation and bullpen. He’s currently slated to be the Phillies’ long reliever unless the team finds a taker for Joe Blanton‘s contract (and doesn’t replace Blanton with a new veteran starter).

1. macjacmccoy - Feb 19, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Waiting for the Haters… but I for 1 like it ,,,, hes our best innings eater out of the pen(d train qualls havent shown anything yer). Also if you look at his track record in the majors, He had a very rookie season, hitters figured him out the in year 2(watch out Vance Worley), year after that he moved the bullpen and post a sub .350 era , Year 4 hes moved but to the rotation and needs to relearn how to pitch to major league pitchers that had him figured out something he never learned to do in the first. Finally last year he showed he has learned to pitch to batters that had him figured hi out, after a short stint in the bp he moved to the rotation and posted a sub 3.30 era.

An ace he will never , a number 3 even, but the way he has progressed so far and the way he performed last season tells me he is/will be a very important part to the pen/rotation of this phillies or any team he ends up with when his contracts over.

• paperlions - Feb 19, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Haters are a figment of your imagination. For example, this deal is so minor, I’m not sure what you think these imaginary foes would possibly say about it. Just because someone thinks your team made a bad move doesn’t mean they hate them. Indeed, it may simply mean they are less biased than you.

• wlschneider09 - Feb 19, 2012 at 11:46 AM

I dunno, I’ve seen some pretty avid Kendrick haters around here.

• Utley's Hair - Feb 19, 2012 at 11:54 AM

I’m not a big KK fan and would rather see him go, but I kind of hope that signing this deal might actually make it more likely that that happens—somehow. He is a mediocre spot starter, but he has value as a long reliever. I hope Blanton picks it back up.

• paperlions - Feb 19, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Yes, but the KK hate is almost only from Philly fans, a teams long-man or 5th starter just isn’t worth attention from other fans.

• drmonkeyarmy - Feb 19, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Paperlions is right…I don’t think I have ever really seen another fan base talk smack on KK because they simply don’t care. Personally, I think he is nothing more than a 5th starter. His ERA last season was mostly a function of luck. Granted his peripherals were moderately better than in previous seasons but his ERA should have been in the mid 4’s. I mean maybe it is a matter of perception but other than that one start in Colorado it seems like rockets were being hit all over the field…they just happened to be right at people. That being said, I obviously hope he exceeds this contract and pitches well.

• macjacmccoy - Feb 20, 2012 at 1:48 AM

NOT talking about Phillies haters genius. Im talking about Phillies fans who are haters on Kendrick. Talking about bias what about yours? I make a comment towards other Phillies fans and you automatically think Im talking about you and the fans of the 29 other teams in the league. Like all Phillies fans give damn what anyone else thinks of them. Sorry we dont thats just your bias making you think that.

• paperlions - Feb 20, 2012 at 9:03 AM

Just because people realize that Kendrick isn’t very good doesn’t make them haters. It makes them fans that want their team to win and prefer that players that are not good at baseball aren’t on the team.

• phillyphreak - Feb 20, 2012 at 8:28 AM

So, if a fan doesn’t like a contract, then that fan is a “hater?”. Why can’t Phillies fans be critical of this deal? As I said below, it’s not the worse thing in the world and I’m not going to be super critical of it but I can say it was not even necessary. He’s a replacement level pitcher- he didn’t need a two year deal particularly because he was already signed this year. It wouldn’t be the worse thing in the world to non-tender him after next year.

I’ve seen others kind of suggest that Kendrick is getting better because he’s changed pitch selection (see The Good Phight blog). Interesting observation and really cool if true but it was a really small sample (6games) and who knows if it would have continued.

“I make a comment towards other Phillies fans and you automatically think Im talking about you and the fans of the 29 other teams in the league”

– You actually didn’t. You said “Waiting for the haters..” That could mean any poster on this blog because it is a TOTAL MLB BLOG. It’s not a Phillies only blog. Unless Craig decides he’s bored.

“Like all Phillies fans give damn what anyone else thinks of them. Sorry we dont that’s just your bias making you think that.”

– Consistent Phillies posters around here probably are less likely to get upset over these things, but every time an anti-Phillie article runs the site is flooded by whiners. So that’s kinda the perception here. Don’t get me wrong I love the Phillies and their fans but, like all teams across all sports, some of the fans are little babies.

2. mdpickles - Feb 19, 2012 at 12:15 PM

I’m not a KK hater, but I think it’s unnecessary to go an extra year with the young bullpen talent and middle reliever/end of rotation guys coming up in the system.

3. phillyphreak - Feb 19, 2012 at 2:35 PM

It doesn’t bother me. But I also didn’t see a reason to do it. Meh whatever.

4. crpls - Feb 19, 2012 at 3:38 PM

They did it because he has two arb years left and if he posted another good ERA he’d get more in arb. Obviously he could be non-tendered, but they certainly find him useful and they know what he is. if he sucks, they can non-tender after ’13, if it works out they have plenty if options.

5. firedude7160 - Feb 19, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Forget about KK, this is so much more interesting

6. Francisco (FC) - Feb 20, 2012 at 12:14 AM

When Ruben said he signed a contract extension with a Phillies Pitcher this wasn’t what the Phans had in mind..

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3259)