Feb 19, 2012, 3:52 PM EDT
Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that Giants right-hander Ryan Vogelsong suffered a back strain earlier this month while lifting weights in Pennsylvania. The 34-year-old starter is still in recovery mode, and won’t engage in normal spring training activities for another 7-10 days.
If Vogelsong can avoid setbacks he should have little trouble getting sufficiently tuned up for the start of the 2012 regular season. But it’s obviously not an ideal way for a guy to open spring camp.
Vogelsong revitalized his career in a big way last year, posting a surprising 2.71 ERA and 139/61 K/BB ratio in 179 2/3 innings. He was rewarded with a two-year, $8 million contract in January.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (80)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (76)