Feb 19, 2012, 3:52 PM EDT
Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that Giants right-hander Ryan Vogelsong suffered a back strain earlier this month while lifting weights in Pennsylvania. The 34-year-old starter is still in recovery mode, and won’t engage in normal spring training activities for another 7-10 days.
If Vogelsong can avoid setbacks he should have little trouble getting sufficiently tuned up for the start of the 2012 regular season. But it’s obviously not an ideal way for a guy to open spring camp.
Vogelsong revitalized his career in a big way last year, posting a surprising 2.71 ERA and 139/61 K/BB ratio in 179 2/3 innings. He was rewarded with a two-year, $8 million contract in January.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)