Feb 19, 2012, 3:52 PM EST
Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that Giants right-hander Ryan Vogelsong suffered a back strain earlier this month while lifting weights in Pennsylvania. The 34-year-old starter is still in recovery mode, and won’t engage in normal spring training activities for another 7-10 days.
If Vogelsong can avoid setbacks he should have little trouble getting sufficiently tuned up for the start of the 2012 regular season. But it’s obviously not an ideal way for a guy to open spring camp.
Vogelsong revitalized his career in a big way last year, posting a surprising 2.71 ERA and 139/61 K/BB ratio in 179 2/3 innings. He was rewarded with a two-year, $8 million contract in January.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (122)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)