Feb 19, 2012, 3:52 PM EST
Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that Giants right-hander Ryan Vogelsong suffered a back strain earlier this month while lifting weights in Pennsylvania. The 34-year-old starter is still in recovery mode, and won’t engage in normal spring training activities for another 7-10 days.
If Vogelsong can avoid setbacks he should have little trouble getting sufficiently tuned up for the start of the 2012 regular season. But it’s obviously not an ideal way for a guy to open spring camp.
Vogelsong revitalized his career in a big way last year, posting a surprising 2.71 ERA and 139/61 K/BB ratio in 179 2/3 innings. He was rewarded with a two-year, $8 million contract in January.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (133)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)