Feb 20, 2012, 2:33 PM EDT
Every year people wonder if Barry Zito is ever going to be a good pitcher again. Not a lot of people. No, those crowds disappeared several years ago. The number of people still hoping for a Zito turnaround is roughly the same as the number of those Iraq War protesters who still show up on that one corner every Saturday for some reason like it never stopped being 2003.
But for those optimistic and hearty souls, there is news. Barry Zito has a new delivery:
Barry Zito made a slight change to his delivery this winter he hopes will help him rebound from an injury-plagued season.
During the offseason, he worked on bending his front leg to get lower to the ground and speed up the momentum the ball gains traveling to the plate.
That’s great. It’d be even greater if he hadn’t done this before. Like, say, in 2007, when he also said that the tweak in his delivery was to create more “momentum” in his fastball. Then in 2008 when he changed his arm slot. Then in 2010 when he changed his arm slot again. Then in 2011 when he did it again.
Hey, maybe this time he has figured it out. I just think it’s way more likely that “he changed his delivery” or “he altered his arm slot” is empty Barry Zito-ese designed to either give fans or himself some sort of hope that something different will happen this year. Finally.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 45
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 34
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 10
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 97
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (97)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)