Barry Zito has a new delivery. Again.

Feb 20, 2012, 2:33 PM EDT

San Francisco Giants v Arizona Diamondbacks Getty Images

Every year people wonder if Barry Zito is ever going to be a good pitcher again. Not a lot of people. No, those crowds disappeared several years ago.  The number of people still hoping for a Zito turnaround is roughly the same as the number of those Iraq War protesters who still show up on that one corner every Saturday for some reason like it never stopped being 2003.

But for those optimistic and hearty souls, there is news. Barry Zito has a new delivery:

Barry Zito made a slight change to his delivery this winter he hopes will help him rebound from an injury-plagued season.

That’s great. It’d be even greater if he hadn’t done this before.  Like, say, in 2007, when he also said that the tweak in his delivery was to create more “momentum” in his fastball. Then in 2008 when he changed his arm slot. Then in 2010 when he changed his arm slot again. Then in 2011 when he did it again.

Hey, maybe this time he has figured it out.  I just think it’s way more likely that “he changed his delivery” or “he altered his arm slot” is empty Barry Zito-ese designed to either give fans or himself some sort of hope that something different will happen this year. Finally.

1. APBA Guy - Feb 20, 2012 at 2:56 PM

At this point, I don’t think even the Giants believe Barry will be a good pitcher again. All their thoughts and and machinations are driven by three “perfect storm” pending events:

– FA for Cain and Lincecum
    – Paying off AT&T Stadium
    – Shedding Zito’s contract

No doubt they were envious at the Yankees for ridding themselves of Burnett. But Burnett at least had some remaining value, as indicated by his k/9. Zito has none.

2. Jonny 5 - Feb 20, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Or MAYBE he wasn’t even talking about baseball at all????

“During the offseason, he worked on bending his front leg to get lower to the ground and speed up the momentum the ball gains traveling to the plate.”

He recently got engaged to Amber Seyer. That’s all I’m saying.

3. marshmallowsnake - Feb 20, 2012 at 3:48 PM

One can deliver the same joke with a different delivery as many times as they want. It is, and will always be, the same joke.

4. ducksouped - Feb 20, 2012 at 4:39 PM

This guy is the bane of my existence. His salary should serve as a warning to all major league clubs: this can happen when you make poor decisions. One guy can severely limit your ball club. If we didn’t have his bloated carcass of a salary, we could have gone after a big bat this year, you would think after a few years he would reconsider and restructure his deal. That would be the humane thing to do. I hate you barry zito. Your changing your arm angle? Why so the cameras in center field get a better shot of the ball leaving the park off your dead arm? How’d too lor watching “us” win the world series from the bench, you ass hat.

• henryd3rd - Feb 20, 2012 at 5:57 PM

As I recall there was no gun in Barry’s hand when the Giants offered him that contract! They looked at his body of work and they offered him that contract. What were Barry & Scot suppose to do? Turn it down and say it was too much. And what is he suppose to do at this; offer to give back money to a billionaire? Not! Barry’s doing what anyone else would do. Take the money and play.

I love it when fans take it upon themselves to determine what someone else is suppose to do with their money. If it bothers you so much stop going to games, stop watching games and stop supporting the Giant.

• ducksouped - Feb 20, 2012 at 6:14 PM

You donkey dick, i do take it upon myself to tell him what do with his salary, because I’m a small way..I helped pay it by supporting the team with merchandise sales, and tickets. So yes I have a vested interest in this ass clown eating a fifth if the teams budget while winning 6 games. His body of work was in decline when they bought him, and the brass is as much to blame as boras, who has done nothing but inflate the size of these contracts for years.

• cur68 - Feb 20, 2012 at 7:00 PM

I’ve…I’ve never seen anyone called a “donkey dick” before…not sure if this is a compliment (a rather extreme and personal one, at that) or a trenchant assessment of character. Like wow. I’m trying to impress a girl, ducks: can you let it be known that you consider me a “donkey dick” too? Spinning it as a compliment, too, would be much appreciated. Cheers,
        ’68.

PS: Zits got paid, I agree. He could retire or re-structure, to help the team, I agree. BUT, would YOU turn down that dough for less, or leave it on the table? Keep in mind we’re talking about a potential $25 million ($18 million/yr with a $7 million buyout). You’d walk away from that? You’d take less than that, given that you’re legally entitled to it? If yes, then you sir, are a better man than I.

• jwbiii - Feb 20, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Here’s how a restructuring conversation would go:
      Brian: We want to restructure your deal.
      Barry: Terms?
      Brian: 20% of what we owe you per year, and then 10% per year starting when your contract is over.
      Barry: Interest?
      Brian: None.
      Barry: Um, no. Forbes said the Giants franchise value increased by 16% last year. I’m good with 16%.
      Brian: Forbes valuations are BS!
      Barry: I know! The last three teams to be sold went for 21% – 43% more than their valuations! Can you believe that? And have you seen the numbers being thrown around for the Dodgers? So 20% to 24% would be more realistic, but I’m a team player, so I’m good with 16%.
      Brian: Um, no.

5. baseballisboring - Feb 20, 2012 at 5:22 PM

He should get a new fastball instead.

6. greenytheterp - Feb 20, 2012 at 9:37 PM

I agree that Zito has had a pretty horrible run with the Giants. The only thing I will say is that he is a really good person and does countless community work. There have been some really good stories about this aspect of him which most people could care less about due to his performance on the field. I am rooting for him to have a comeback year (highly unlikely but one has to have dreams).

7. ducksouped - Feb 20, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Forgive my strong opinion, I can see how good a person he is, and he works hard, trains hard, studies, wants to be better. Problem is he’s a terrible pitcher. We all know that if he didn’t have a 19 million dollar tag, he would have been cut seasons ago. It’s bad enough he’s the 3rd highest paid pitcher in the history of the game, it’s what else that money could be spent on that really kills me. I don’t wanna see the young pitchers get wasted with no hitting. No pitcher will watch their numbers dwindle down with no run support for that long. Then where are we? I know he will never ale a pay cut, I probably wouldbt either. Just a wish I suppose.

8. greenytheterp - Feb 20, 2012 at 10:24 PM

I understand and can appreciate your strong opinion on him. I am not a Giants fan (I do like them but they are not my favorite team) so it is easy for me not to be as upset about him. I was purely talking about his off-field activities. His on-field activities have definitely hurt the Giants. Hopefully he will turn it around this year so at least the Giants get a little something from him.

9. Ted Spradlin - Feb 21, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Just looked at Cot’s Baseball Contracts and Zito still has 2 more years and $39 million + $7 million buyout on the club option for 2014. With $46 million left, is now finally the right time to realize the sunk cost and DFA Barry, and fill his roster spot on a 22 year old with a live arm? Or, does that happen next spring when there’s only $27 million left?

• keepthisrealbro - Feb 22, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Knowing that bum Sabs, he will let barry play out his deal, unless he pulls a Rowand on us over night

10. ducksouped - Feb 21, 2012 at 3:09 PM

You can’t eat money. It’s just to much, you just put him in the ass end of the rotation, get him favorable match ups with other teams crap pitchers, and hope for the best

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto