Feb 20, 2012, 1:30 PM EDT
I don’t post all of those BSOHL stories simply because I’m unaware of when a joke has been beaten to absolute death. I mean, I am unaware of that, but that’s not the only reason I post them.
I also post them because they are often evidence of a player who is trying to make up for something. A player who had a bad year or who is in decline, trying to signal to the public or to team management or whoever that things are different now and they’re trying to do better. I think it’s interesting and, depending on how much baloney is involved in the proclamation, tells us something useful.
Often that something is negative, as Jim Margalus of Soutside Sox explains in this excellent post about White Sox players who have, in the past, declared that they have added “pounds of muscle” in the offseason:
I searched through 10 years’ worth of archives for the exact phrase “pounds of muscle,” and I found seven other references to White Sox who bulked up during the offseason. In every case, a worse year followed. In some cases, disaster ensued.
He has the examples. It’s scary stuff.
It’s not what the players say, people. It’s what they do that defines them.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (250)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (156)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)