Feb 20, 2012, 1:50 PM EDT
Blake DeWitt was designated for assignment last week and predictably no team was willing to claim his $1.1 million contract off waivers, so he’ll remain with the Cubs while being removed from the 40-man roster.
DeWitt technically had the right to reject his assignment to the minors, but doing so would have meant forfeiting his $1.1 million salary and … well, that was never going to happen.
No longer being on the 40-man roster will make it more difficult for DeWitt to be called back up to the majors, as the Cubs would have to first clear a roster spot for him by potentially losing someone else.
However, in January the team willingly signed him to that one-year, $1.1 million deal to avoid arbitration and the 26-year-old infielder is certainly an MLB-caliber player, hitting .260 with a decent .714 OPS in 404 games. Expect to see him back in the majors before long, although perhaps not with the Cubs.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)