Feb 20, 2012, 4:19 PM EDT
Bobby Valentine was asked about reliever Bobby Jenks today, and he said that Jenks — who underwent two back surgeries this offseason — will not pitch during the spring. Rather, he expects him to be a “mid-season arrival.”
Jenks, of course, was able to manage only 19 appearances last season, striking out 17 and walking 13 in 15 and two-thirds with a 6.32 ERA. His unavailability was part of the reason Boston got Mark Melancon and Andrew Bailey this winter.
Of course, I’m still not ruling out John Henry’s ownership of that soccer team as the real reason.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)