Feb 20, 2012, 4:19 PM EDT
Bobby Valentine was asked about reliever Bobby Jenks today, and he said that Jenks — who underwent two back surgeries this offseason — will not pitch during the spring. Rather, he expects him to be a “mid-season arrival.”
Jenks, of course, was able to manage only 19 appearances last season, striking out 17 and walking 13 in 15 and two-thirds with a 6.32 ERA. His unavailability was part of the reason Boston got Mark Melancon and Andrew Bailey this winter.
Of course, I’m still not ruling out John Henry’s ownership of that soccer team as the real reason.
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 20
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 44
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 101
- The MLBPA is serious about investigating leaks to reporters regarding Stephen Drew, Kendrys Morales 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 59