Feb 20, 2012, 4:19 PM EST
Bobby Valentine was asked about reliever Bobby Jenks today, and he said that Jenks — who underwent two back surgeries this offseason — will not pitch during the spring. Rather, he expects him to be a “mid-season arrival.”
Jenks, of course, was able to manage only 19 appearances last season, striking out 17 and walking 13 in 15 and two-thirds with a 6.32 ERA. His unavailability was part of the reason Boston got Mark Melancon and Andrew Bailey this winter.
Of course, I’m still not ruling out John Henry’s ownership of that soccer team as the real reason.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- The Cleveland Plain Dealer comes out strongly against Chief Wahoo (116)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (87)
- Report: Harold Reynolds, Tom Verducci to join Joe Buck for World Series booth at Fox (73)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)